Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do I really need to neuter my male ferret?
Sneezing Otter

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Thursday, August 05, 2010 2:30 AM
I was just wondering if it was really necessary to neuter my male ferret. I am not planing to breed him, but I have heard a lot about the negative side effects of neutering, especially if it is done to soon. I'm also afraid of a personality change if I do decide to neuter him. 
I am aware of the heightened aggression and sent associated with rut; he would be a single ferret family, so there would be no other ferrets for him to be aggressive to. I have heard of some cases in which whole male ferrets have become depressed during rut if they cannot find a mate, which would be unacceptable for me as his caregiver. I just feel that he probably would not want to be neutered if he had a choice.
I have not gotten him yet from the breeder, so its not really an urgent matter, but any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
-Ty
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Thursday, August 05, 2010 8:02 AM
Personally, because I'm allergic to whole hobs, I'd have him neutered.  Since you are waiting before getting him neutered, some of the risks associated with early neutering could be minimized.

During rut, they start sliming things around the house.  They also become very pungent.  And they may become aggressive, and possibly depressed.  Rut can last a pretty long time, too.
Polecatty

• Total Posts : 727
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:22 PM
No, it isn't necessary if you don't wish to have him done. :) It basically comes down to how you cope and how your ferret copes. I have an intact hob and being in rut doesn't phase him at all- he smells stronger [which doesn't bother me, though it does bother a lot of people], he marks things, and he goes for a walk around the neighbourhood every afternoon- he marks out a territory and then checks it every day to make sure another hob hasn't infringed upon 'his' patch. ;) Interestingly, when he isn't in rut he has no interest his 'territory' and nothing I  do will get him to go for a walk.
He has never shown any signs of depression or anxiety- still eats as usual and plays and wardances every day. He does become aggressive towards other intact hobs, but has never directed this towards people. Basically, being in rut for my boy means being smellier and more active.
You could always try leaving him in rut to see how both of you fare before making any decisions. And if you decide you don't like the whole rut deal, but still don't wish to desex, you could  consider the Suprelorin/Deslorelin implant. :)
BoJangles

• Total Posts : 220
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Thursday, August 05, 2010 6:58 PM

[size=3 font="times new roman"]I got my 2 boys from a breeder. The contract I signed had a date on it as to when my hob needed to be fixed. One of my boys was 13 months old when the deed was done. the younger one was 6 months old. When I got the boys the oldest one was in rut. Drove me and his half brother crazy! All hours of the day n night he`s try to get the younger one pregnet! Got so bad I had to separate them until they were fixed. The younger one had a sore on his neck from the older one biting him to stay still so he could do his deed. The screaming was horrible! Now that they aren`t able to do each other, they are calmer, more loveable and at lot more playful! With only one he might be ok. More then one and both being males, I wouldn`t go throught that again. Way to much pain for me and the one who`s being used as the jill. Yes he marked everything in his area and the blankets he slept on were changed daily. He marked them as soon as they were layed out. I`m glad I had mine fixed. But do what you think is best for you and your hob. They are as different as night and day personality was. Spend some time with your hob. Get to know him and then deside what`s best for the both of you.

I love my furkids! Now and forever..........
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:39 PM
BoJangles, hows the boys doing?  Please post pictures.
Sneezing Otter

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Friday, August 06, 2010 11:43 PM
Thanks so much, that you have a non-breeding hob makes me feel a lot better =) I think that I'll wait through a season, and if he's bearable, then I'll keep him the way he was meant to be.
Thanks again
Sparrow

• Total Posts : 727
Re:Do I really need to neuter my male ferret? - Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:08 AM
Our hob isn´t neuterd and he is fine. True, he gets smelly when he´s in season but it´s bearable.

>Dook Dook<

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message