Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Constipation!
vertigofm

• Total Posts : 430
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Constipation! - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:51 PM
Ok so my 10 month old male has been constipated for like 3 weeks now.  My vet on the phone said that it is most likely not blockage because it has lasted so long and most blockage is acute, severe and you'd know it.  But I am not sure about this vet as he hasn't done ferrets for over 5 years but he supposedly used to do them a lot.  He also said that if I was giving my ferret lax frequently, and then stop- he could experience a rebound effect.  What do you experienced owners think and what should I do?  Thank you much!

Frank
igotkittypride

• Total Posts : 325
RE: Ferret Constipation! - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:10 PM
are you saying that your ferret hasn't pooped at all in 3 weeks??? is it possible that he's pooping somewhere and you don't know? that's an awful long time for an animal to not poop, especially a ferret...they should poop every 3-4 hours. he he still eating and drinking?? if he's having trouble pooping or not pooping at i would use lax or pumpkin to help him. i've never heard of lax making things worse...does your vet not think it's a big deal...have you done xrays?
PLEASE PLEASE SIGN, no matter where you live!
http://www.petitiononline.com/CAferret/petition.html
FOWARD THIS TO OTHERS!!
igotkittypride

RE: Ferret Constipation! - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:12 PM
the last foster kitten i had didn't poop for the first 5 days i had him so i started him on lactulose which helped a lot.
FOWARD THIS TO OTHERS!!
vertigofm

RE: Ferret Constipation! - Tuesday, May 01, 2007 11:42 PM
no no no, he just will sometimes try to go and nothing will come out, other times he does.  He's just having trouble going, I don't want to keep giving him ferret lax because it has lots of sugar- what other laxatives can I find at the store to give him?
igotkittypride

RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:30 AM
i don't know any lax that doesn't have sugar...i think the sugar is the reason why it acts as a lax. lactolose and pumpkin also have sugar.
about how often is he going?? sometimes my boys will fake poop soo i will let them out of their cage...is it possible that the times you think he's going and nothing comes out that he's just peeing??
FOWARD THIS TO OTHERS!!
vertigofm

RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 12:40 AM
nah he's trying, I see his muscles contract and expand
stinker

• Total Posts : 765
RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 1:07 AM
Alot of people use petrolium jelly or vaseline (no scent) instead of the ferret lax because it is so high in sugar.
You might want to add a couple drops of ferretone to the petrolium jelly so your ferret will eat it.
Maybe your ferret is just peeing when you see him go? Sometimes my ferrets will just pee instead of doing both. When you see him go are his eyes squinting? If so he may be constipated. Try the petrolium jelly that's all I use.
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:46 AM

ORIGINAL: vertigofm

no no no, he just will sometimes try to go and nothing will come out, other times he does.  He's just having trouble going, I don't want to keep giving him ferret lax because it has lots of sugar- what other laxatives can I find at the store to give him?

If that ferret has not gone the bathroom in three weeks.  Get some laxatives into that little one.  A blockage can be sitting in the stomach, building up.  Sugar in laxative should be your least concern at this point.
vertigofm

RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 3:57 PM
Ok, thank you, but how much vaseline should I be putting into this guy (10 months old and 3.015 lbs exactly)?  When should I administer them and for how many days?  Thanks!

Frank
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
RE: Ferret Constipation! - Wednesday, May 02, 2007 6:40 PM
I would give him a 1" of laxative, try to get his bowels moving.  It's not going to hurt him as it will just come out.

Good luck

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message