Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Safe Cat Litter??
Angel0607

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:38 PM
We have 2 cats and I got rid of the clumping litter when we got the ferret. I chose to use paper pellets but I hate it. The cats dont cover their poop anymore and it doesnt cover any smell even with litter deodorizer in it. It is also almost impossible to really "scoop" out as I end up having to replace a lot of the litter each time we scoop and that gets really expensive since it takes a whole bag pretty much to fill up both litter boxes.

The house smells horribly of ammonia and it makes my eyes water so I cant imagine the cats enjoy going potty in them! We've been having to completely change the litter every couple of days and its just not worth the hassle. 

What litter is ferret safe that also keeps the smell down?? I cant keep the ferret away from the cat boxes, not that he goes in it but they are still out in the open so every once in awhile he checks it out.
ferretsgalore

• Total Posts : 963
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:48 PM
the guy that owns a ferret rescue that i volunteer at told me about horse bedding, so i went to a farm and home/tractor supply store and i found a 30lb bag of horse bedding that kinda looks like popcorn for 3.95!!! its way cheap, dust free, and my babies dont eat it. when i first tried it out they went crazy and thought it was a new box of fun goodness. its hard to scoop it out but clumps nicely. and as with any litter, it stinks if you dont change it for a few days. but usually what i do for example is: monday ill change and clean out their litter boxes and tuesday ill scoop it, and wednesday ill change it.  for the price and quality i love it. just a suggestion.

ferrets are a drug i cannot control, they have taken over my life and refuse to give it back! should i call a coun
ferretsgalore

• Total Posts : 963
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:48 PM
oh and my cat uses it too

ferrets are a drug i cannot control, they have taken over my life and refuse to give it back! should i call a coun
Angel0607

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:52 PM
The ferret litter is just fine.. he will only use one type of litter and is very picky lol and that is such a small amount its no big deal to change it 2-3 times a week.. but the cat boxes are a lot bigger and therefore take a lot more litter.
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 2641
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:00 PM
Swheat scoop is ferret safe and similar to clay litter without all of the dust. I actually use it for the ferrets too and I love it. It is, however, on the expensive side so I stock up when there is a sale.
fuzzyluv

• Total Posts : 4
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:06 PM
What about the crystal cat litter?  That's what I use for both my ferret and my cats, I have Sphynx cats, and one has a very sensitive respitory system, so any of the clumping litters where terrible for him, the crystal cat litter has been WONDERFUL, I scoop the cat boxes twice a day and the ferret box gets scooped once a day and I change them all every 10 - 14 days, works great!  Very little odor, even with 4 cats in my house!
inzekesmemory

• Total Posts : 1046
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:16 PM
what is the issue with clumping litter for ferrets? i have found since bollwinkle moved in, the stink meter is off the scale!!!!! i've never seen any of mine "butt scoot" in the box, they do it on the blanket outside the box (or mom's carpet!!!) the blanket i change every day, the carpet i have plastic and newspaper down. but why can't you use the clumping litter with them?
They say the good Lord will never give you more than you can handle.......I wish he didn't have so much faith in me!!!!!!!
lnsybean44

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 2:52 PM
I wouldnt say cant but people tend to stay away from it. The usual problem with clumping litter is the dust that comes off of it is bad for delicate respiratory systems. Ferrets also have the problem of sticking their silly little noses in it on occasion which can clump in their respiratory tract. If your ferrets dont stick their noses in litter then it isnt as big of an issue but there is still dust that clumps in little noses.

On a side note. I was hauling hay once and I sneezed green and yellow hay dust for a week. It was disgusting!

joclyn

• Total Posts : 1583
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:02 PM
hardwood pellets (like you use for the wood stoves) are what i use - for the ferrets and the cat.  they hold up better (than feline pine or horse bedding) to the urine and they actually absorb it (unlike yesterday's news pellets).   no appreciable odor unless i haven't sifted out the dust for a few days - which only happens if i'm sick and can't go near the ferrets).

i scoop out the poo and then use the slotted litter scooper to sift out the still-usable pellets - i put them aside until only the wet sawdust is left in the pan and dump that and then put the saved pellets back in and add more as needed.

i also sometimes use plain newspaper sheets.  i find them to be SO much easier and there's even less odor (partly because it's so easy to switch out the dirty for clean).  i usually put a half piece of papertowel underneath the paper though - to soak up the urine as the paper, itself, doesn't do that good a job of it.

regular or scoopable cat litters aren't good to use for ferrets due to the dust - in general it can cause excess sneezing and allergy issues and the clumping stuff will become a big issue if it's inhaled as it'll clog up the nostrils.

i wouldn't use the crystals just because of the possibility of the ferrets biting them and/or ingesting them. 
inzekesmemory

• Total Posts : 1046
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 3:02 PM
oh, okay...lily is my smelling meter..as long as she doesn't start sneezing i'm good!!! she is a sneezy little buggar!!!! nothing but vinegar and a drop of softsoap for cleaning anything in this room!!!!! she has an extra sensitive system!!! can't even burn scented candles 3 rooms away with her!!!!
They say the good Lord will never give you more than you can handle.......I wish he didn't have so much faith in me!!!!!!!
Angel0607

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:09 PM
I think I will try the Swheat scoop. Thanks everyone!
schnebbles

• Total Posts : 159
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:12 PM
I didn't like the swheat - I would choose worlds best cat litter over it - I'm using Natures Miracle cat litter right now, from Petsmart, I think it's ok.  I was looking for a low tracking litter, it tracks some but smells better. 
Angel0607

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 9:02 PM
That is a clumping litter.. is it ok to have around ferrets?  (Not in his box but in the cat boxes)
lnsybean44

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:32 PM
Clumping is okay as long as it is a no/low dust like the wheat or corn based ones (the crystals are usually no dust i believe as well). The biggest problem is really inhaling the dust.
mary99

• Total Posts : 514
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Friday, June 18, 2010 12:17 AM
I use a soft clumping litter like America's Best or Swheat Scoop.  I got tired of the mess it makes in the cage so I just changed those two boxes to Yesterdays News and it's neater but smellier.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10189
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Friday, June 18, 2010 5:44 PM
Don't forget the compressed paper pellets like Yesterday's News, Fresh News, etc.  Those are fine for ferrets, too.  I love these products as they don't turn to sawdust when wet.
Angel0607

Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Friday, June 18, 2010 9:47 PM
Snapper13

Don't forget the compressed paper pellets like Yesterday's News, Fresh News, etc.  Those are fine for ferrets, too.  I love these products as they don't turn to sawdust when wet.

Yeah.. thats why we are looking for a new litter because we tried that. The cats stopped covering their poop and it stunk really bad the first day or so. 
schnebbles

• Total Posts : 159
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Friday, June 18, 2010 9:47 PM
I think the natures miracle is corn based and I don't think it's dusty.  It smells like pine. 

I have often thought of trying the crystals but I have 3 cats and I think that would be really expensive changing it out as often as I'd have to.
Acodlin

• Total Posts : 431
Re:Ferret Safe Cat Litter?? - Saturday, June 19, 2010 1:09 AM
I'm in the same boat, I can't seem to keep my little guys out of the cat box and I use tidy cat clumping in their boxes so its not good for the ferrets to be in there... but my 4 cats will NOT use ANY kind of pellets, wood, paper, nada.. I scoop the cat boxes once a day and I cannot STAND the smell of stinky cat box so i've left my clumping litter in there and do my best to keep the ferret kids out. I've tried to use the pellet stuff before with other cats and I agree, it stinks, they don't cover it up and as soon as they go you KNOW it.

I've kinda come to the conclusion that when we move, i'm going to buy the big rubber maid storage tubs and cut a hole out in the top so that the cats can get in, and use those with the clumping litter.. I know my ferrets cant climb up the sides and as long as its not close to anything that they can jump to it, then that will work.. it'll be ugly but ferret safe!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread