Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets?
skiblits

• Total Posts : 59
  • Reward points : 0
What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Friday, May 21, 2010 8:44 PM
I read on a site that it is ok to give ferrets broccoli, cucumbers and fruits as treats.
Is this true and if so, what kinds of fruits and things can they have?
alliemackie

• Total Posts : 313
Re:What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Friday, May 21, 2010 9:08 PM
No, no no. Fruits and vegetables are not good for ferrets. Ferrets are obligate carnivores, they do not need ANY grains, fruits or vegetables in their diet, and feeding them such can be very harmful.

The sticky threads at the top of this forum can be of great help to you, I suggest poking through them! For snacks, I give my girl freeze-dried liver and chicken, as well as small pieces of fresh raw meat.

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15133
Re:What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Friday, May 21, 2010 9:11 PM
>I read on a site that it is ok to give ferrets broccoli, cucumbers and fruits as treats.
Is this true and if so, what kinds of fruits and things can they have

This is false.  You don't give ferrets broccoli, cucumbers or fruits at all.  Just look at their teeth.

My favor saying is:   Ferrets don’t need treats, it’s us human who think they need treats.

The best choice for treats for your ferret are meat based treats.  Cooked chicken, turkey and steak are great treats.  Never give your ferret any fruits (fresh or dried) or high carb- sugary treats such as raisins, cheerios, 8-1 yoggies, or anything banana-raisin flavored.

Ferrets are obligate carnivores, which means they require a diet that's very high in meat-based protein and fat. Because they lack a cecum, ferrets cannot digest plant protein, so fruits and veggies is a no…no - no matter how much they beg.

Sugary snacks, such as raisins, may cause obesity, tooth decay, and aggravation of hypoglycemia caused by insulinomas.  High carbohydrate treats, such as cookies, cereal and bread may lead to diseases of the pancreas.

Yes, they will beg for healthy treats.

Here are some suggestions for healthy treats

Cooked or raw chicken, turkey, steak
N- bones
Totally Ferret Treats
Foamy Fries
Ferretone
Chesweasel
Mice and or baby chicks
dehydrated chicken breast[font="arial; color: black"]
Eggs
Chicken gravy or duck soup
Stage 2 baby Food

Everyone has different moderation in giving treats.  Such as how much is given in portion. (tiny piece, small, big)   How often  (once day, once week, once month etc...etc....)  How many people in the same household gives treats.  (Wife, husband, kids)  Gee mom's give treats....why can I  or  Let me give them a treat to distracted them or ahhhh look at that sweet face.   We all have excuses.....they train us very well.

Take this in consideration:   number of treats  X  the number of years that ferret will live.   WHOA,  that's lot of treats in unhealthy treats given during that life span.  Specially when we have a option to imprint and give good healthy treats to our ferrets.

No Raisin and or Grapes - Check out these links.

Raisin and Grapes Toxicity
Jerry Murray, DVM
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/SG14346
Dr. Kawasaki, raisins, Scientific Proof and raisins
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0603&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R18694&I=-3

http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0603&L=FERRET-SEARCH&P=R19890&I=-3[font="arial; color: black"]

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16645

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/ope/enotes/showarticle.cfm?id=160

I hope this helps

<message edited by wenmister on Friday, May 21, 2010 9:13 PM>
Polecatty

• Total Posts : 727
Re:What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Friday, May 21, 2010 11:30 PM
No veg, fruit, grain or nuts! Basically, nothing that isn't made from an animal.
Meat, meat and more meat. Cooked or raw chicken is a great treat. :)
skiblits

• Total Posts : 59
Re:What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Saturday, May 22, 2010 1:08 PM
Got it!
No fruits or veggies ever!

Thank you so much for your help guys!!!

TJ.Tropea

• Total Posts : 1670
Re:What are some foods that I can feed to my ferrets? - Saturday, May 22, 2010 5:28 PM
No, these are NOT good for ferrets.  (psst.. I have in the past given raisins to my ferrets.. but not on a regular basis).   There are treats you can find here that I get.  In fact, there's a 7 bag variety you can get.  My ferrets LOVE them.  They also like Ferrovite and Ferretone. 
RM1 TJ Tropea
Severn, Maryland
US Navy Retired
USNS SIRIUS T-AFS 8

Roommate/Brother: Matthew Higdon
Dachshunds: Tucker, & Chance
Cat: Griffin
Chow Chow: Canuck
Ferrets: Dodger, Digit, & Pucker

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.