Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret Tower of POWER
Calania

• Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Tower of POWER - Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:38 AM
So the other night I got this manly urge. Not the urge to eat meat and potatoes and pick a fight. This was the urge to build something.

We have been debating about expanding the fuzzies playpen area to include a corner of the room currently occupied by a bookshelf and an art bin pictured below.

This debate was halted for a bit as we were not sure if the little bit of room gained was worth the extra 70 bucks for another playpen to attach to the current one. That is when the idea hit me. Like Emmett Brown falling from the toilet while hanging a picture an image was burned into my brain. 

The Ferret Tower of POWER!

Horizontally the expansion may not be worth it, but vertically it would be. We measured from the floor to the ceiling and went to Home Depot. After spending 130 dollars we returned with a ton of PVC pipe, zip ties,  and mesh. I got to work immediately......

Coming tonight.....Pics of the "Cubes" completed and partially meshed......Stay tuned.....
~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
Surreal

• Total Posts : 717
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Saturday, March 13, 2010 3:29 PM
Sounds cool!

We have two playpens that can either be put together or used seperately.  Right now I have one of them blocking off a nook in the kitchen area as to give them lots of space and the other is on the deck for when warmer weather comes.  Last year we used both playpens to line the deck so they couldn't fall off but Surrealy found a way to climb up so this year they'll be confined to the smaller area of a single playpen. 
Surreal Creations - Customcageliners Bedding
Calania

Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:44 PM
Update

We have purchased another MF Playpen (This makes our 3rd joined together). Some time tomorrow or Monday will be the day the bookcase and other stuff is moved and their current pen is expanded into the corner to accommodate the new Tower of Power! 

Here is the partially completed tower placed in their pen to get it out of our way.

This sucker sits about 5-6 inches from the ceiling. We meshed in the top cube completely (top isn't done yet). We are debating whether to mesh in the middle cub or not as it will be sitting in a corner-ish area. The cubes are larger enough we will be adding a second mini level in the 2nd cube.

Our ferret delivery system is not worked out completely. Bubble wave tubes are the 1st place choice but they are very pricey. Until it is in place we at least don't have to worry about it.

Up Next (tomorrow or Monday).......Extending the pen! and placing the TOWER OF POWER! (insert dramatic music)
~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
Patsy

• Total Posts : 121
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:59 PM
Lookin Good! I so wish I could do something like this for my boys!

Our Furbabies **Sabastion, Bronx and Bedstye***
Calania

Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Monday, March 15, 2010 5:01 PM
So here it is, Monday and I actually got a bit done on my only day off. Every week I tell everyone I will spend my only day off eating pizza, eating buffalo wings, drinking cream soda, and watching TV. In the end I spend my time cleaning and messing with ferret stuff. This week was no exception.

After letting the kids burn off their morning energy in the pen they were placed under lock and key back in their cages. The time to work was afoot!

The book case was moved and the extra ferret pen was added in but not everything fit just right. There were gaps between the wall and pen, along with corners not fitting right. after a long, long, long debate we eliminated the back parts of the pen and screwed the pen straight into the wall.

The result is as follows :

Now, after a bit of fixings we have began actual work on the first two levels. We have much more to go but at least we are making progress.

The bottom starting.

The middle starting.

The tube will continue into the hanging cube. The exit for the hanging cube will have bubble tubes leading up to the third level which is messed in. We are probably going to fill it completely with scrap fleece and Easter eggs. Then we get to decorate with hanging baby toys and hammocks and such.

Next Update : The second and third levels completed and pics of the kids checking it all out!

~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
WienerCat

• Total Posts : 2809
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Monday, March 15, 2010 11:59 PM
my only question is how is the ferret going to go vertically up the tubes? 

Calania

Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Tuesday, March 16, 2010 1:33 AM
The bubble wave tubes have deep gripping grooves.

We were worried about the vertical climb as well and were going to go with an initial circular climb, but expense eliminated that option. We cannot go with the cheaper more flexible vinyl tubes as our fat boy eats them.

We limited the vertical climb on the first section (and the unfinished second section) to one straight tube with a curved piece on each end. All 5 fuzzybutts have shown no problem what so ever flying up them and even surprised us by going up the second unfinished section and flying out into the hanging cube hideout.
~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
Chelsea_Mae

• Total Posts : 94
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 3:59 AM
HOLY SMOKES! That looks amazing! Could someone invent a shrink ray so I could come over and play in your Tower of Power? :] keep up the good work & keep us posted on the progress.

Calania

Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 10:41 AM
Well, Sad News.

The tower EXPLODED!

Just kidding, however it did have to be taken down. I had added the icing on the bottom two levels and began the process of going up top. The kids also always had to sleep in the tower. It was a ridiculous success.

Then we bought the FN142. That left us with two large left over cages (two very large super pets). Me not wanting to be wasteful I dismantled the tower as it was only pvc pipe and constructed a new area for the kiddos. The tower will come back, but not until we get them more room for it. I must admit it was a very fun experiment and the fuzzybutts loved it.

Left Cage - Eggs and toys in bottom. The bubble wave tubes go up to the second level. The second level connects to the third which is solid all the way across and covered with fleece.

Right cage - Entire wall removed for easy access. Condo and beds added. 
~~**~~DOOK~~**~~
Surreal

• Total Posts : 717
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 12:36 PM
Looks awesome!!
Huge points on being creative and recycling, you and Weezlemum are kindred spirits hehe! She's always being innovative and recycling and repurposing things!
Surreal Creations - Customcageliners Bedding
Shiver

• Total Posts : 102
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 12:53 PM
that is just fantastic. lol, it would be a blast to build something like that. 
When you dream you dream of us. 
Chelsea_Mae

• Total Posts : 94
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 1:22 PM
    Aww so sad the towers gone, but your creation is still pretty awesome with the spare cages. :] I'd still want to come over and play in it. I always love to think up new ideas for the kids. Its fun.

Weezlemum

• Total Posts : 2016
Re:Ferret Tower of POWER - Friday, March 26, 2010 4:26 PM
Surreal

Looks awesome!!
Huge points on being creative and recycling, you and Weezlemum are kindred spirits hehe! She's always being innovative and recycling and repurposing things!

awww  thank you for the compliment.. but my family calls  I me cheap, Justin says I am like Mr Scrooge! I say I'm thrifty, and creative... :)

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 4 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread