Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets
Tinky

• Total Posts : 175
  • Reward points : 0
How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:16 PM
I'm going to post this so it won't be true, hope you understand.  Foofer is still not feeling well.  Her little eyes are squinched like she is in pain.  About an hour ago, her eyes were a little more normal, but she's back to not feeling well.
Tinky won't leave her side for too long.  Even our little visitor Ruby went into the little sleep house where Foofy is and was trying to nudge her to come play.  We are making sure she has water to drink.  She is down to licking it from our fingers and I have given her Ferret Lax 3 times today.  When Tinky at the foam ear plug, she acted the same way. 
Foofer is our baby.  The way the other ferts are acting around her worries me more.  Do they know something I don't? 
I am calling the vet tomorrow as soon as they open.
Nox

• Total Posts : 122
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:55 PM
Poor Foofer... :(

I have heard that ferrets act that way when their friends get sick, even with sick humans. They definitely can tell she's not feeling well. It sounds like you're doing a good job taking care of her. <3

Best wishes, and good luck at the vet's tomorrow.
raml

• Total Posts : 619
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Monday, October 26, 2009 3:59 AM
I have noticed that when a ferret has gotten into trouble like my little Buffy did the other day,she caught her foot in the cabinet I have child proof locks on but she managed to get part of her foot in it and of course she screamed and scared me to death , all of them come running and won't leave till I get whoever is hurt out of the trouble and am cuddling the little one and she actually laid in my arms for a full 15 minutes which is very rare for her. They are always concerned when one of them is sick or hurt luckily that happens rarely here I nearly have heart failure when I hear one scream for help though and you can tell when they are really hurting and not just fighting with one of the other ferrets.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Monday, October 26, 2009 8:21 AM
Our mother hen, Posh, will sleep next to our older guys in their last days.  Cleaning and grooming them.

When they start losing control of their bowels, the others will leave the old/sick one alone (after the first accident).

Also, strangely, the older and sick ones don't seem to want attention, and try to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.
Murphysmom

• Total Posts : 1678
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Monday, October 26, 2009 10:09 AM
I have noticed this also. When Ollie was feeling really bad, the others groomed him and curled up and slept with him so he would be warm.

Tinky

• Total Posts : 175
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Monday, October 26, 2009 8:17 PM
These responses made me cry.  I love Ferrets and don't think I will ever be without one or two.  The bond between Foofer and Tinky is pretty strong even though Tink started out as an only Fert.  I'm happy to report Foofer is doing better.  She seemed like her old self today, but we have kept a check on her throughout the day.  She is probably wanting us to just leave her alone and let her sleep.  She must have just had a tummy ache.  I have only been a Fert mom for a few years and haven't had too much experience when one gets ill.  Praise God.  I consider myself fortunate to have found this site.
guill19

• Total Posts : 787
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Tuesday, October 27, 2009 1:36 AM
Is Tinky the ferret in your avatar pic?
cyngo

• Total Posts : 156
Re:How ferrets act around sick or dying ferrets - Tuesday, October 27, 2009 9:59 AM
This reminds me of the incident when Misu got stuck in the wall for over 24hours (wasn't that long ago :X). Anyway, when we got her out, Zephyr ran to her side. Misu was exhausted and wanted to sleep, Zephyr stayed with her and groomed her all they, aparently she was dooking the whole time too, my boyfriend says.

Another time, Zephyr got sick (she was vomiting a lot), Misu came by her side and licked her and coiled around her. She hissed after my boyfriend when he tried to check on Zephyr XD XD!!

I think they know when something isn't right with their furfriend, it's a really lovely thing the way they care for eachother. I don't know what one would do without the other, I'd rather not think about it. O-o

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread