Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What to put in the bottom of the cage?
the ferret tamer

• Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:12 PM
I recently bought my little fuzzy from a friend of a friend and they gave me some shreaded up paper to put in the bottom of the cage but now I have run out of all the paper and was wondering what would be good to put in the bottom of the cage or do I need something to put in the bottom of the cage?
lnsybean44

• Total Posts : 2641
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:22 PM
I like to use fleece. It gives them something warm to sleep on and prevents accidents as they generally will not poop where they sleep.

Depending on what cage you have, with my FN 141 I use a yard of fleece folded over for the bottom (the remnants bin at craft stores tend to have alot. You could also use old tee shirts or blankets. Another favorite in my house are old shower towels or cheap ones when they go on sale at walmart and target.
wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:29 PM
I like to use baby comforters for my FN cage.  I pick them up used at garage sales, salvation army stores.

PetersGirl

• Total Posts : 284
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:21 PM
We use fleece, but Noodles has a butt scoot habit, so there are quite a few skid marks, meaning we have to do laundry twice a week. But like insybean said, they wont actually poo on the fleece...so I suppose butt scoots are an ok sacrifice :p
New to Arkansas and the fuzzbutt family!

Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10184
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:19 AM
I either use cage sets, or old clothes.  We have two baskets of old jeans, sweatchirts, blankets, t-shirts, boxer shorts, etc....  and throw them into the cage so they can burrow aroudn and have fun.  When they get dirty (from boot scoots or what-have-you) , just toss into hamper, and pull another old t-shirt out of the basket and throw it into the cage.
Minotaur

• Total Posts : 565
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:21 AM
I have several fleecy baby blankets.  Two are folded in the bottom of the cage at any one time, so they make several layers.  I like the idea of old sweatshirts and sweatpants.  They'd make for even more small snuggly spaces.
"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." - Bhagavad Gita 9.26
saythings

• Total Posts : 76
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:30 PM
I might caution you against towels, depending on how your ferret's nails are.
Our old ferret, Nero, had (amongst his other health problems, poor boy) nails that often cracked, and his favourite thing to nest in was an old towel, so he was *constantly* getting his nails caught. He did occasionally get his nails caught in all of the bedding options we gave them, but it was much, much worse with the towels, and I was constantly freeing him.
I left the towel in the cage because he just loved it so much more than anything else, until the day he managed to tear a nail out! I felt like such a terrible ferrent... and I took away his towel and just kept making him different bedding options until I found something he liked. Or maybe he just forgot about his towel, I'm not sure. (and yes, we got him vetted, and yes, he recovered fine, but still. It was a bit scary for us, and probably much worse for him)

But I'd recommend staying away from towels, or anything that's looped like that. Fleece is great, and cozy, and old tshirts and sweaters too. Even the legs from an old pair of jeans - ours love to tunnel in them, and then curl up to sleep. 

Also, if you have some small-ish boxes around the house (shoe or boot boxes, small shipping boxes, stuff like that) you can cut a couple of holes and stuff bedding inside the boxes. It gives them somewhere to sleep, something to climb on, and something to push, all at once. (or are ours the only ferrets obsessed with pushing things around? It's a bit crazy, to be honest, but I always makes sure they have something push-able in the cage)
MasterChaos

• Total Posts : 29
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:14 PM
Harley loves a mix of fabrics- towel, pillow cases, my husband's old jeans, my t-shirts, socks... she LOVES socks. She hoards them. 
RunnerGirl96

• Total Posts : 34
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Sunday, November 29, 2009 8:06 AM
I have a bunch of fleece blankets in the bottom, along with old tshirts and sweatshirts. I'd say anything but towels, my girl manages to get stuck in everything. Just be careful that the ferret doesn't start eating the fabric ;)
Eyris

• Total Posts : 715
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:13 PM
I use bathroom bathmats. None of my guys try to chew on the plastic. And most come in the perfect size for the ferret nation. I also put a baby blanket or towel on top of that so they have something to burrow under.
fritzferret

• Total Posts : 347
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Sunday, November 29, 2009 10:04 PM
We use rugs, any old clothes, baby blakets, paper bags, old scarfs, old sheets/pillowcases, fleece scraps, etc. Pretty much anything that does not have small holes were their head/body part could get traped. We also don't use anything that has loops like towels or some rugs.
sabby64

• Total Posts : 49
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:49 PM
I use Eco Bedding. It's pretty much just shedded up paper but specifically for small pets. Theres no dust so it works great for my ferret. Since she loves to dig so much I need to use bedding for her because she doesn't like to burrow in clothes, strangely enough. I put a towel in there so she can curl up in it for warmth, though.
WienerCat

• Total Posts : 2809
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Wednesday, December 02, 2009 10:16 PM
i use my bf's old t shirts.. they LOVE THEM!  I also have fleece blankies too that match the cage theme.

Master*Tealeaf

• Total Posts : 25
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:29 AM
Quick Question: I keep reading all these helpful ideas about what to put at the bottom and things to make my fuzzy even happier with her living conditions... but where all do you want to put these items in the cage?... what I mean is do you put them where they seem to gravitate more or on the bottom of cage?? just a little curious and the pant tube Idea I never thought of that it is inexpensive and with a little corner pipes can turn it into a fun filled tube...I made a dig box out of rice, she loves it... keep up the wonderful ideas folks.
Everything Happens For A Reason...

wenmister

• Total Posts : 15130
Re:What to put in the bottom of the cage? - Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:36 AM
Check out housing section.  "picture of cage setup"

http://forum.ferret.com/tm.aspx?m=6154

Some people have ferret rooms..

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission