Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 how can i tell if my ferret is deaf?
tigerlilly1234

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:55 PM
my ferret never responds to noises. it doesn't matter if he's sleeping or awake he doesn't respond to any noise no matter how loud or how close to him it is. i didn't think ferrets really cared about most noise but i just wonder if there is any noise they usually respond to.
scoobydoo_2345

• Total Posts : 361
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:09 PM
take a pop can with pennies in it. when the ferret is asleep shake the can as hard as you can. if he sleeps through it then hes deaf. if he responds he might be hard of hearing or can hear perfectly fine. i used squeaky toys, the vacuum sweeper, and clapping. i did the testing over a course of a week just to be sure. and he failed every one of them.
m41502

• Total Posts : 48
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:31 PM
I kind of suspected that my Izzy was deaf - I used some of the tests scooby posted. The one that sealed the deal for me was one of the dog's squeaky toys. I squeaked it directly behind her head, and had no response. Now, when I do this to Annie - she jumps around and plays with me :)

Dana   & my heart dog Maddie <3, Murtagh, Izzy, Annie, and Peyton 
scoobydoo_2345

• Total Posts : 361
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:18 PM
its not the end of the world if your fuzzy is deaf..lol. at first when it was brought to my attention that it was a possibility for mine and i went to several ferret websites, and explained on what was going on and they said that he could be. but i find the deafies are smarter than the ones that hear. but that my opinion.
Mimzy

• Total Posts : 1347
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:07 AM
Three of ours are deaf, Nobu, Ozzy and Yumiko....aside from the other suggestions, you can jingle keys, anything that just makes noise without vibrations will help you find out if your little one is deaf or not. 

I speak from experience though, if you have a deafie....work with him with it...Now.  Nobu and Yumi we have been working with since we got them, and while I have only had Yumi for a few weeks now, she is already responding well.  Nobu knows to look to us for hand movements/signs and whatnot.  And we talk directly to them so they know what is going on.

Ozzy however, we got him from a shelter....he came from a not so good home....but thats ok, we have had him almost a year now, and he is getting the hang of hand signs and looks to us now more than he ever did. (He also gets talked to directly, etc)

We do not treat the deaf ones too much differently than the hearing ones, as the only difference is that 3 cannot hear and 7 can.  =3 

So patience is key with especially a deafie.  They and and do learn....its just how you go about teaching him, as well as yourself.

cyngo

• Total Posts : 156
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:39 AM
I hear you should also try to make different wavelenghts of noises (like a low pitch, high pictch, etc. ) Some ferrets may be able to hear high pitch noises but not low pitch noises and vice versa. I don't know if it's true or not. 

We realized that Zephyr may be deaf when she didn't react to the planes that pass by when we were out. The traffic didn't seem to phase her either. Misu on the other hand, would stop everything she did to take a look at the passing plane, or puff up over a motorcycle. So we did a hearing test with a few squeaky toys. Misu reacted right away, but Zephyr slept through it (even when it was right behind her head) .

But she's behaving fine. A little more nervous (which I think is expected) but adorable and pretty engaging. She looks at us straight in the eyes (weird but interesting.) and she's very responsive to smells. One of the things we do to get her attention or interact with her is to let her smell the inside of our mouth (it sounds gross but it works) our hands, etc.  We also have a few tactile gestures to let her know what's going on: stroking her chin means it's time to calm down, turning her on her belly and giving raspberries (every one knows what that means :P). It's a little more difficult, but she's such a playful and adorable girl. Besides, Misu can hear and understand quite well, yet she won't shy away from getting in trouble or trying to have her way! XD 
tigerlilly1234

• Total Posts : 2
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Monday, October 05, 2009 2:52 PM
thanks for everyone's responses. i've tried all kinds of sounds around my ferret but he doesn't seem to notice anything. i guess he must be deaf. when he's asleep or awake he doesn't look around no matter how loud i clap, yell, or use squeaky toys.
PetersGirl

• Total Posts : 284
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Monday, October 05, 2009 4:39 PM
tigerlilly1234

thanks for everyone's responses. i've tried all kinds of sounds around my ferret but he doesn't seem to notice anything. i guess he must be deaf. when he's asleep or awake he doesn't look around no matter how loud i clap, yell, or use squeaky toys.

Noodles is deaf as well. We discovered it when we were playing and she would constantly get startled. She is my tiny little baby and gives lots of kisses. It did take a little longer for her to learn "NO!" when she bit our toes, and we are still working on it, but she cant hear as well as Bear so we have to be patient. Nothing wrong with a deafy :) its pretty common and just means they need a little more attention.
New to Arkansas and the fuzzbutt family!

PetersGirl

Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Monday, October 05, 2009 4:45 PM

She looks at us straight in the eyes

Cyngo, I noticed this with Noodles, too. She has the common blaze markings and her eyes are a little further apart than Bear's, and when she looks at me I melt! We connect when she makes eye contact with me, its weird. Like a little person :) I think she knows she cant hear so well and so she makes little efforts to get my attention

cyngo

• Total Posts : 156
Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Monday, October 05, 2009 5:29 PM
PetersGirl

She looks at us straight in the eyes

Cyngo, I noticed this with Noodles, too. She has the common blaze markings and her eyes are a little further apart than Bear's, and when she looks at me I melt! We connect when she makes eye contact with me, its weird. Like a little person :) I think she knows she cant hear so well and so she makes little efforts to get my attention

Zephyr is a silver panda, I think. I noticed that the shape of her face was different from Misu, but it was hard to determine whether it was due to Waardenburgh (however you spell that O-o) or just because ferrets all look different. I noticed that her face is slightly flatter and round (like a baby's face kind of), and her eyes are apart. She's also very flexible around the neck area, as if she was double jointed (I think that also has to do with WS). That's one of the reasons why she looks at our face, because she can. Misu can't flex her neck like that. But I agree, it's as if it's the only way she knows how to get our attention.  I've also noticed that she does that with Misu (they go into stareoffs XD). Strangely enough though, she gets it when Misu hisses and she sometimes even responds by hissing back, that completely intrigues me.  
PetersGirl

Re:how can i tell if my ferret is deaf? - Monday, October 05, 2009 7:18 PM

Strangely enough though, she gets it when Misu hisses and she sometimes even responds by hissing back, that completely intrigues me.

Same thing with Bear and Noodles. Though I am convinced that she is not 100% deaf; she loves those cat toys with the bells inside, I am confident she can hear them ringing. Though it could just be me wanting to think she can hear it :). She definitely has the "noodle" neck, and how funny we named her Noodles before knowing she was deaf, its so fitting.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread