Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals
Fuzziefun

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals - Thursday, September 03, 2009 12:59 PM
Hi folks,

My newly adopted male ferret ( Bandit)  has a swollen red genitalia ( wee-wee ) I've taken him to the vet this morning she gave him an exam and emptied his bladder which didn't have much in it as he had gone potty before we left. She can't rule out a urinary tract infection but found no signs pointing to one in his urine sample.  She prescribed an antibiotic and we have to follow up with her tomorrow and give her an update because she isn't in on Sunday and wants to be sure the little guy doesn't have any further issues before the weekend.

What i'm wondering is has anyone seen this in a male ferret before? Is this possibly an adrenal issue/concern? ( no hair loss)

I still haven't uploaded pic's of the fuzzies yet, sorry we're in the middle of moving and everything is a bit hectic around here. :P

Thanks for any replies,

David
pentacle565

• Total Posts : 1379
Re:6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals - Thursday, September 03, 2009 1:14 PM
I'd take a look at the litter, is it non clumping, and not pine? There could be an allergic reaction... I had a hedgehog who's thing was irritated by his pine shavings. A thin bit of shaving actually got stuck in there.
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 10185
Re:6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals - Thursday, September 03, 2009 2:12 PM
I'm guessing an infection or rash, as opposed to adrenal disease.  My male adrenal ferrets haven't shown any signs of swollen and red genitals.

Coudl he have rubbed himself against something.  if you are moving, could he have been crawling underneath/between bozxes and causing some irritation?
Fuzziefun

• Total Posts : 7
Re:6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals - Thursday, September 03, 2009 4:09 PM
Hi,

No the litter is the compressed paper pellets, I am also inclined to think it's some kind of infection or irritation as well, Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any alternate idea's.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Dave
Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
Re:6 Month old male ferret swollen/red genitals - Friday, September 04, 2009 10:56 AM
Does he like to run through tubes?? I have one boy that had to stop because his penis would get irritated rubbing on the ribs while he was running through the tubes, took a while to figure out what was causing it but once that stopped so did the redness and he was fine. I am sure the vet mentioned it but just watch to make sure he can pee ok, if swelling is enough it could hamper his ability to urinate.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread