Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 World Record for oldest Ferret?
forgottenfuture

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:34 AM
Anyone know? I have a 10 and a 11 year old. We lost the 3rd 6 months ago that was 11 also. She was a fighter that made us proud. When she got her toe stuck and broke it. Turning black and her turning ice cold we took her to the vet. They didn't know what to do really as they never see a ferret that old before. Same vets office that does that show of KDKA radio Dr. Mike. If any of you are familiar. Gave us some pain meds and back home we went. Later that month her toe fell off and within a couple of weeks was climbing and running again. She lived 3 years after that.  I'm thinking if it wasn't for that she could have gone on a lot longer. Which brings me to the other little muchkins. They still run, jump, and play with the cats as they did when they were young. No visable signs like the other had so I think I'm looking at years more of love.
Ferrets4

• Total Posts : 1174
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:16 AM
What ever you are doing keep on doing it, thats awesome they are so healthy into old age, your doing something right.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.
bandit99

• Total Posts : 4260
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:30 AM
Welcome to the forum! WOW! 10 & 11. We should all be so fortunate. Bed sure & post pics of your fuzzies. We love pics.

Fuzzbutts Rule!

chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 12:40 PM
My original group of three lived to be 10.5 & 11.5.  They got an
upper respitory infection and I lost all of them in the same week 
I'm not sure what the oldest ferret on record is, but 10 & 11 is very
old by todays standard.  Are yours privately bred or commercial?

whosoever

• Total Posts : 1
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 2:37 PM
This website says the record is 14 years.  That's still a very impressive age for a ferret!
xvelvetfuzzbuttx

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Saturday, August 01, 2009 5:54 PM
whosoever

This website says the record is 14 years.  That's still a very impressive age for a ferret!

I was going to sy 14 as well, that is the oldest i've seen posted by someone on a forum- and from what I remember she had horrible care for 12 of those years.

forgottenfuture

• Total Posts : 3
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:15 AM
I wouldn't say we have given horrible care but not all that stuff people here do (Raw meat and Soup ). You eat it and then I'll feed mine that, OK :P. We feed the 9-1 food give them lax and some vit every now and again. They free roam most of the day and making sure it's safe, nails clipped every other week, bathed once a month and litter boxes cleaned daily. My wife worries when they lose there hair, but it's happened so often and they seem to be more active when naked. All are girls and the cats give them free roam and extra cleaning. I didn't think I would have been really sad when the one passed, but they grow on you. We said we were done after they passed because of the work that comes with having one, but I think we'll be a ferret lifer. ;) I can't believe that some of you have so many, my goodness, god bless you. I'll get some pics up soon.
chatrat

• Total Posts : 2170
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Sunday, August 02, 2009 4:06 PM
The ironic thing about mine, was we are talking about the late 70's to
early mid 80's.  No vets in my area knew anything about them, they were
fed mediocre cat food, with raw liver and soft poached eggs weekly.  None
of mine had vaccinations, and had never seen a vet.  Even when they got
sick, I called him, and he gave me his best estimation of antibiotics.  Those
days are far from over, but for none of them to have had Adrenal disease,
Insulinoma, or any type of Cancer and to be completely healthy and to
have lived so long is rare by todays standards.

kt

• Total Posts : 87
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Monday, August 03, 2009 10:12 AM
forgottenfuture

I wouldn't say we have given horrible care but not all that stuff people here do (Raw meat and Soup ).

I'm certain Velvet wasn't referring to your ferrets. She meant that the one ferret that she'd read about was given substandard care for most of its life, not yours.

That said, humans aren't ferrets and ferrets aren't humans. While we all know consuming raw meat is dangerous for people, a raw diet is acceptable nutritionally for a ferret, as their digestive systems are built to handle it. Kibble or raw is an owner's choice. 

forgottenfuture
You eat it and then I'll feed mine that, OK :P.

Have you eaten kibble, that you find it acceptable for your ferrets? :)

A "naked" ferret almost certainly has adrenal disease. Treatment of that is easy and can make the fuzzy more comfortable. My oldest girl has adrenal and I sincerely hope she'll be with me until she's 10 or 11 too!
Timeskimmer

• Total Posts : 656
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Monday, August 03, 2009 10:32 AM
Good job! Maybe your fuzzies will set a record- I sure hope so!
Proud mother of Miiko-kun <3
Kin1978

• Total Posts : 1
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:34 PM
One of the ferrets my parents have (currently 37 in total) was 12 1/2 when they got him from a rescue society, which would make him now a little over 15 or 16, 16 I think. I would have to ask the rescue people to look at their records to check his age. He's been going down hill for a couple of days and probably wont last another day or two, so I was just looking on here out of curiosity to see what the oldest known was. They've had ferrets last a variety of years, and because they've all come from the rescue society or found by the RSPCA it's hard to be sure with some of their ages. The first group of 8 they got at about 6 months old are now about 7 and 5 are still alive and well.
xvelvetfuzzbuttx

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:50 PM
forgottenfuture

I wouldn't say we have given horrible care but not all that stuff people here do (Raw meat and Soup ). You eat it and then I'll feed mine that, OK :P. We feed the 9-1 food give them lax and some vit every now and again. They free roam most of the day and making sure it's safe, nails clipped every other week, bathed once a month and litter boxes cleaned daily. My wife worries when they lose there hair, but it's happened so often and they seem to be more active when naked. All are girls and the cats give them free roam and extra cleaning. I didn't think I would have been really sad when the one passed, but they grow on you. We said we were done after they passed because of the work that comes with having one, but I think we'll be a ferret lifer. ;) I can't believe that some of you have so many, my goodness, god bless you. I'll get some pics up soon.

I am just seeing this now and I was NOT talking of your kiddos! Although, the fact you don't worry about hairloss is a bit suprising on its own.

NeapolitanFerret

• Total Posts : 10
Re:World Record for oldest Ferret? - Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:57 AM
My Ivy was 15 when she passed away :c

R.I.P. - Rath, Ara + Ivy. You will be missed forever.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread