Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is it insulinoma??
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41
dobiqueenx1

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
Is it insulinoma?? - Tuesday, March 10, 2015 9:47 PM
My girl Hope started having seizures today and is exhibiting symptoms of insulinoma....reading up on this she has had symptoms for awhile now (at least a couple months) ..... I can't get her into the vet until tomorrow morning so have been doing the honey on her gums and it has helped.....I did get her to eat some duck soup and drink a bit too....she is so lethargic and I'm so scared for her.....I pray she makes it through the night....if she does....what kind of hope is there for her?? This disease will eventually take her wont it??
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:45 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:41 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:24 AM
She is acting better this morning and even trying to move about her cage some.....she ate a little more duk soup this morning too.....thanks for the information and I'll keep you posted
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 1:38 PM
dobiqueenx1

She is acting better this morning and even trying to move about her cage some.....she ate a little more duk soup this morning too.....thanks for the information and I'll keep you posted

Well, it is what I feared...insulinoma. I have to give her the tablet form of prednisoline until the liquid comes via mail and they flavor it so I chose chicken. Going to the store tonight to pick up some high protein items for her.  She was showing signs of blindness as well at the vets. Does this go away once her sugars are more level? I forgot to ask my vet that. Luckily for me, the receptionist there used to work for a ferret foster home and gave me great advise on her diet and also made me feel much more at ease with this disease. I know I'm just biding time with her but I hope it's a LOT of time and she continues to live a full life with what time she has left.
wenmister
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 3:57 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:07 PM
wenmister

I make my own baby food.  (duck/chicken soup)  It much cheaper than purchasing the baby food.  baby food can run you est.  1.00 a jar.

What I do is;

Purchased a whole chicken from Wal-mart.   (5.00)

Cook the chicken in a crock pot until it's done.
Let the chicken cool.

Then bring out my blender.

I pick away the meat and skin  (no bones).  Blend that up in the blender with the chicken broth, until it's smooth.

I will add some heavy whipping cream to the mix.  This will help put on weight.

You can put the soup into ice cube trays for individual servings or in freezer containers.  All my kids get soup every morning....as a healthy treat.  I freeze my in plastic containers.  Five lb. chicken will last me about one month.  (6 furkids at home getting soup).

I hope this helps

I was thinking as well, some ground turkey, boil it so it doesn't get greasy.  (or maybe hamburger the same way?) Is the duk soup good to feed them too on a more regular basis as I've normally given that as a sort of treat? 
wenmister
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:33 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 7:49 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 8:14 PM
I haven't been able to get her to eat at all tonight...this worries me as I know I need her to eat to help her BG all the more...I'm boiling the turkey right now and will cool that and try it when it's cooked, but she wouldn't touch the duk soup or any of the beef baby food I purchased....I'll keep trying....I'm quite worried about her....
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:09 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:16 PM
thank you bandit99....she DID finally eat a bit ago...I did a mixture of beef baby food with the duk soup, and she actually ate quite a bit and drank from a syringe as well....I then let her pull herself around on the floor for awhile to move about. I do have another question. She's still doing a jolting or twitching action. will this continue? I had to kind of put her head in my hand to steady it a bit while she lapped up the food off a spoon otherwise her head was jolting a bit. Also, how long does it take until we see some improvement, like in her eating more normally and on her own, getting about better, etc? How long before the prednisole kicks in?
wenmister
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Thursday, March 12, 2015 9:14 AM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 13, 2015 3:59 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 13, 2015 10:02 AM
She's not doing so good....yesterday when my daughter got home from school Hope began to crash again....this time was worse as she bit her tongue and lip, I believe even broke a tooth during the episodes and my daughter said she was screaming out this time....vet said to keep pushing the syrup then push the protein once she's settled....when I got home from work she was like in a coma...I couldn't get a reaction from her at all except every so often she'd lift her head and open her mouth like she was chatting and a few seconds later would be out again....kept putting syrup on her gums off and on. She then seemed to have another smaller episode and I took advantage then and force fed her very watered down baby food bit by bit.....did this over a period of a couple hours then gave her more syrup .... Force fed her again this morning and will continue doing this throughout the day today.....the vet also increased her pred to double what it was....she must have moved about some during the night as she was out of the box I've had her in this morning and had piddled....I'm not going to hold much hope for her getting better at this point because as of now, to me she's not doing well...I have a sinking feeling in my heart I will have to take her in and put her suffering to an end....yesterday morning I'd even noticed that she must have injured her leg during the night as on the inside of her back right leg it's all bruised and a ver dark purple....no swelling but just looks painful....I feel so lost as I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle and don't want her to suffer!! I love her too much to allow that....when do I know it's time?
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Saturday, March 14, 2015 1:18 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 3:17 PM
bandit99

I'm so sorry you both are going through this. I had one little one that the vet gave me liquid dextrose for crashes. She gave me a dosage and I gave it to her with a syringe. You are doing the right thing when she is crashing. Syrup then high protien soupy. Hopefully the new pred dose will help.
The way I usually can tell it's time is in their eyes. They loose that spark. But also with insulinoma they don't feel well if their BG is low. So their eyes may not be nice and shining. My thoughts and prayers arer with you both. Let us know how she is doing. You can pm me if you want.

dobiqueenx1

My girl Hope started having seizures today and is exhibiting symptoms of insulinoma....reading up on this she has had symptoms for awhile now (at least a couple months) ..... I can't get her into the vet until tomorrow morning so have been doing the honey on her gums and it has helped.....I did get her to eat some duck soup and drink a bit too....she is so lethargic and I'm so scared for her.....I pray she makes it through the night....if she does....what kind of hope is there for her?? This disease will eventually take her wont it??

I think I'm to the point where I can finally update you all on Hope....(but still knocking on wood)...after force-feeding her every few hours and giving her karo syrup with a bit of water ALL weekend, she finally acted a tiny bit better on Sunday evening, even acting like she was hungry. I called my vet on Monday and increased her prednisolone to .25 of the liquid, and every day she's showing progress, even trying to take steps this morning on ALL 4 LEGS!!!! She's much more alert now and has a good appetite. I'm still praying she can keep improving to where she can find & use her litter box (at least 2 baths/day for her now), find her water and maybe begin eating her kibble in her cage as well. Then it too would be much easier for me to just give her moist protein based food to eat along with even leaving some for her during the day while I'm at work, etc. She's not to that point yet. She did lap some of her ferret-vite last night as well and took a couple bites of one of her treats....I'm hoping he continues improving because as of last Thursday, I thought I'd be taking her to the vet to put her to rest by the beginning of this week. Thank you for all your advise as it's really helped. Here's to hoping for Hope to continue getting better to be able to act more herself soon....
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 7:24 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:05 PM
Thank you.....it's been hard and the "trip" isn't over but I'm praying for continual positive blessings where Hope is concerned....
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 20, 2015 10:42 AM
Member in blocked list
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 41

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 3 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages