Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Monday, May 19, 2014 3:02 PM
The availability of Totally Ferret's Turkey Venison and Lamb feed has not been consistant and I haven't been able to find it anywhere. So I am seriously looking to switch my Dakota's food to something more readily available. In my own research, the Evo brand looked fairly good but I wasn't sure if anyone here had other suggestions. My ferret is around 4+ years old (don't know exactly since he was a rescue) and is in very good health, I just want to make sure he stays that way after I switch feeds!
whiskandbowl

• Total Posts : 179
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Monday, May 19, 2014 9:34 PM
I'm currently switching to raw, but my ferrets are on Wysong Ferret Epigen 90, Natures Variety Instinct Duck, and Wellness Core.

I would hold off on ordering Wysong though, they recently changed the formula and a lot of ferrets are experiencing diarrhea. Apparently Wysong is taking customer complaints seriously and they may be changing it back. In the meantime though, I'd refrain from ordering.

Wellness Core and Natures Variety can both be found at Petco. I'd suggest mixing more than one brand for variety, and in the even that a food is ever unavailable, you have another to fall back on.

Ferrets: Wesley, Percy, Owen    -rip Bandit-
Bettas- Kitty, Pip, and Logan
Sun Conure- Kita
Gerbils- Piper and Tailer
Snapper13

• Total Posts : 155
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:44 AM
Try Go! Natural  Fit & Free which is Chicken/Turkey/Duck.  Not exactly like TF's Turkey/Venison/Fish but contains one of the same proteins, and I have had no trouble changing my senior ferrets to this kibble.
Justrunningthru

• Total Posts : 41
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:50 AM
I feed the girls a mix of Evo Cat/Kitten Turkey, Welness CORE kitten and Nature's Variety Instinct along with some of Nature's Variety Raw bites either with egg yolk(2-3 times a week) or in a soup. I based my choices on the moredooks chart and picked the best foods I could find locally. Pet super market carries Evo and Wellness CORE and Petco carries Nature's Variety. The girls LOVE their kibble and are doing great on it!
wenmister
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:51 AM
Member in blocked list
FurPerson

• Total Posts : 11
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:21 AM
Thanks for the info, all! I will probably mix kibbles at some point, but for now I found Evo at the pet store so I will be using that for now. They had Wellness Core too but it would have been quite expensive for me to purchase both (I have a very limited income at this time), so I'll have to wait til it goes on sale. I am also giving him regular supplements of fresh meat too, such as cooked beef (not salted or spiced), local trapped wild game and small whole prey. I really think that keeping variety in his diet is the way to go. He is by far the healthiest ferret I've owned!
Justrunningthru

Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:11 PM
wenmister

Nature's Variety Raw bites either with egg yolk

I have never thought of doing that with the nature's variety raw.  Great idea, I will have to try it out on my furkids.

thanks for idea

Try it!! It was an attempt to get them to eat the raw bites...lol.... a VERY successful attempt! They loved it!
Justrunningthru

Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Thursday, May 29, 2014 5:14 PM
FurPerson

Thanks for the info, all! I will probably mix kibbles at some point, but for now I found Evo at the pet store so I will be using that for now. They had Wellness Core too but it would have been quite expensive for me to purchase both (I have a very limited income at this time), so I'll have to wait til it goes on sale. I am also giving him regular supplements of fresh meat too, such as cooked beef (not salted or spiced), local trapped wild game and small whole prey. I really think that keeping variety in his diet is the way to go. He is by far the healthiest ferret I've owned!

If you sign up with wellness they will email you a $5 coupon! Also, not sure what pet store you use, but I go onto www.retailmenot.com and print out the pet supermarket coupons $4 off of $20 and can use them a both pet supermarket and Petco. Typically Petco will have Wellness on sale. Just some info for you to use later on :-)
Razzaghoul

• Total Posts : 14
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Friday, May 30, 2014 2:56 PM
If you haven't yet, I would definitely recommend you take a look at the Ferret Food/Kibble Chart over on Moredooks.

http://moredooks.herobo.com/search.php?chart=ferret

Its up to date up to November 2013; so it doesn't show the recent Wysong formula change yet... but it shows most of the recent kibble updates up the release of Orijen's newest, Regional Red.
taziphillips

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Best kibble feeds? Switching off Totally Ferret - Wednesday, May 19, 2021 8:54 AM
Hi Justrunningthru, I tried various animal & pet supplies store. Allivet is pretty good plus Barkbox. For deals I prefer Coupon Outlet.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread