Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 how to help a ferret gain weight
charizard_006

• Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
how to help a ferret gain weight - Friday, February 24, 2017 1:56 AM
I am a new ferret owner. I got two albino ferrets from a lady and I have no history on them. One is losing its hair all on its back and they are both terribly skinny. My vet said they are malnourished. Right now im giving them walmart food and supplementing it with duck soup until I can buy a more quality food. I live in a one horse town and the nearest pet store is two hours away. Any tips on how I can aid them in gaining weight? 
bandit99
Re:how to help a ferret gain weight - Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:41 PM
Member in blocked list
Frolicking Ferrets

• Total Posts : 24
Re:how to help a ferret gain weight - Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:52 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum. 

To help with weight gain, mix goose fat into their food and supplement their diet with raw meats, stewing beef is usually pretty good for this. Eggs will help with the weight gain but don't feed more than twice a week because it can make their hair fall out. Oil treats are very goof for helping with weight gain, especially coconut oil which will also help their coats grow back healthy and glossy, salmon oil is also good for weight gain but its more expensive and won't help the coat as much.

Don't use any kind of cream or dairy product as ferrets are lactose intolerant and it'll give them diarrhoea making them lose more weight and become dehydrated.

KrazeyLady

• Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 1
Re:how to help a ferret gain weight - Monday, March 06, 2017 7:29 PM
I also give mine cod liver oil. I get mine in capsule form, open them up and mix with their biscuit.
tinybeanshapedkittens

• Total Posts : 1
Re:how to help a ferret gain weight - Friday, March 10, 2017 8:03 AM
Hi all. Just wanted to chime in here. Depending on why the ferret needs weigh gain, in many cases, heavy cream would be more of a hurt than a help because of the potential of tummy upset/diarrhea. Someone gave me that advice once, and it caused my fuzzy harm. I mistakenly took the advice without asking my vet. Long story short, it's always best to consult your Veterinarian before administering foods/supplements for weight management. :) Maybe they will give the cream a thumbs up, as it's situational for each fuzz. Best <3
Texasy

• Total Posts : 40
Re:how to help a ferret gain weight - Thursday, November 05, 2020 12:38 AM
You can check that kind of diet https://hellomaterialsblog.com/american-diet/ cause that is one of the most easiest diet in the world. And you dont need a lot of time to gain weight.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread