Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Question on vaccinations
Rgarbarino

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Question on vaccinations - Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:50 PM
We have two ferrets in our family that will be two years old next month. My questions is about rabies and distemper vaccinations. If they are house bound ferrets is it necessary to continue to get these vaccinations?

They both are kept up to date on their vaccinations but I'm just curious if they really need them.

And if they should continue to get yearly shots then I need to look into finding another vet because they are $$$. A Check up and shots for 2 ferrets runs me almost $400, office visit, rabies shot, distemper shot and benadryl shots at $45 each (which I question the need for). And they make me come in twice because they won't do the rabies and distemper at the same time.

I had a ferret years ago and paid nowhere near what I pay now...
wenmister
Re:Question on vaccinations - Friday, May 27, 2016 11:07 AM
Member in blocked list
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Question on vaccinations - Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:46 AM
I know your post is a few months old, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give you my two cents!

As a former employee in the veterinary field, it is crucial that all animals in a household be vaccinated. Although uncommon (Rabies and distemper), your ferrets are STILL at risk of this contagious disease. Most rabies cases are found in raccoons, bats, foxes, any feral animals. It's a misunderstanding that if you do not take your pets outside, they will not get sick... False. You can bring in rabies and distemper through clothing, your shoes, hands, etc. Same for fleas... You could have a flea on your shoe without you even knowing and your pets will have fleas. 

You are not entirely safe, but you will be 100% safe if you get your ferrets vaccinated. I completely understand that vaccinating ferrets can be tricky and stressful and I know some vets who do not vaccinate ferrets unless necessary (Multiple animals in the house, outside daily, etc.) as they have a higher level of exposure. 

If you choose not to vaccinate, make sure you wash your hands and keep up with proper cleaning and hygiene around your home! If you have multiple animals in the house, especially dogs, I do recommend vaccinations. 
<message edited by Raina415 on Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:49 AM>
wenmister
Re:Question on vaccinations - Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:33 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages