Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Moving to Canada and taking ferrets?
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
  • Reward points : 0
Moving to Canada and taking ferrets? - Monday, May 09, 2016 1:37 PM
Hey guys,

Questions on if anyone is aware of international travel for ferrets.

There is a real possibility that my husband will be relocated to Alberta, Canada and the stipulation I had with moving anywhere was that we didn't have to leave anyone behind. My opinions have always been pet ownership is for life (although I may rehome some of my aquatic pets as I am unsure if they would make the journey unharmed). 

The cats are pretty cut and clear on what is required but the ferrets I am a little confused on the language of. 

Ferrets can be moved to canada with a rabies certificate signed by a vet along with the proof of rabies shots from the last year.  
Actual Language: " B. My ferret is coming to Canada from the United States of America Ferrets from the United States can be imported into Canada without an import permit if they are presented at the port of entry with a vaccination certificate, which has been signed by a licensed veterinarian and which states that the animals have been vaccinated against rabies in the year preceding the date of import. Ferrets less than three months of age are not subject to any import restrictions."

Now, I have rabies documentation from 2 of the ferrets in 2014 but they expired in 2015. The third was never vaccinated although we planned to when we put the house up for sale since (despite a cage cover) strangers will be in the house and in the event of a bite I didn't want any issues there.

Would a lapse or absence in paperwork prevent them from moving? 
Should I get them all vaccinated ASAP and then possibly redo it if it is after a year?
Do ferrets have available the 3 year shot like dogs and cats do after they get their initial 1 year shot?
Should I move them in the same carrier and lock it or should I separate them? I'm worried about someone opening a cage and then them escaping, but I feel they would benefit from eachothers comfort on a stress level.

Any input appreciated.

<message edited by Seelen on Monday, May 09, 2016 1:39 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages