Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret trouble walking
CB

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret trouble walking - Tuesday, February 02, 2016 1:28 PM
I have a 3 year old ferret at home that doesn't seem to be doing well. About 3 weeks ago we noticed she was limping, holding one leg up close to her chest. She didn't get better the next day so I called a local vet and took her in the very next day. The morning of the vet visit, she acted 80% better and was starting to put weight back on her front leg, but still had a slight limp and wasn't moving as fast as normal. I took her to the vet, he checked her out by feeling her leg and she didn't seem in pain at all until he felt around her shoulder. He said nothing was broken, and since she was doing better, he felt she had just wrenched her leg and it would heal up in about a week. She did get better with each passing day, but a couple of days ago we noticed that once again she just stayed in bed. We kept her quite over the past couple of days, but now she can hardly stand on her legs, if she moves, she keeps her stomach to the floor and sort of drags herself. I have called the vet again, but they can't see her until Friday. Anyone with any thoughts on what is going on? Not sure why should get better, only to get down back again so bad. Thanks.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret trouble walking - Tuesday, February 02, 2016 8:37 PM
Member in blocked list
CB

Re:Ferret trouble walking - Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:04 PM
Sorry, I was at work and typing quickly and probably wasn't very clear. It was just one of her front legs at first and her back legs seemed perfectly fine. We had no idea how she was injured, if that was what was wrong, she just didn't act normally one morning when we went to get her out of the cage. Now her front legs seem ok and it's her back legs that don't seem to be doing well. Almost like we have two different things going on and it's just a coincidence that they occurred closely in time. Her eyes are bright and clear. I have read about the insulinoma, and thought of that possibility as well. She doesn't scratch at her mouth though, but perhaps not all of them display that symptom. It's just strange that she was doing much better only to take a turn for the worse again. I only wish I could get an earlier vet visit. Thank you for your reply and sympathy. The ferret belongs to my daughter, but the little bugger has won my heart as well.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret trouble walking - Tuesday, February 02, 2016 9:49 PM
Member in blocked list
CB

Re:Ferret trouble walking - Tuesday, February 02, 2016 10:07 PM
Her appetite appears to be ok, but she is definitely eating less just because she is not getting around very easily and probably not burning as many calories as usual. I gave her some egg yolk tonight and she lapped it down eagerly, so her appetite is there. I have her in a smaller cage that we use for her when we go somewhere, so she doesn't have to move as far to get to her litter box, food, water and bed. She usually has run of a two story cage. What I am stuck on is whether I should keep her still in her cage, or encourage her to move around some. Just to see if her back legs could move, I placed a favorite toy near her on the floor tonight, and she did gingerly walk up to it, moving her back legs, so she can move if the temptation to is there. It seems like once she does start to move, it then becomes easier for her. She also shook the toy around once she did get to it, so she still has a playful attitude. I just don't know if it is better to keep her still, or better to try to encourage her to move so something doesn't grow too stiff. For now, I'm keeping her confined to her cage for the most part. I figure if she thinks she can move, she will definitely do so. What do you think?
unclejoe
Re:Ferret trouble walking - Wednesday, February 03, 2016 8:52 PM
Member in blocked list
CB

Re:Ferret trouble walking - Thursday, February 04, 2016 9:36 AM
First off let me give you a big thanks for answering my questions! You seem to be active on this site and answering many questions, so it must be hard to keep track, of prior posts by different individuals. I did mention earlier that I did have an appointment for tomorrow 02/5/16, unfortunately, I was told this morning by the vet office that the doctor that works with small animals has had a family emergency, and won't be able to keep appointments for Friday, so it has now been changed to Tuesday 02/09/16. I called the only other vet near to us that also will work on small animals, and their appointment would have been for an even later date. As a refresher. At first she was limping on a front paw. That now seems 100% better. But she now for the most part drags her back legs. I now believe that the front paw limping and now the rear leg problems are not related. The poor girl just seems to have had to things go wrong with her close to the same time. She still wants to be active, but can't seem to get her back legs under her. Other than not being able to use her hind legs very well, and now her lack of eating her normal food, she appears good otherwise. She wants to play with anything placed near her, her eyes are clear and bright, she is alert. What concerns me now is her lack of eating. She will eagerly lap up an egg yolk, but doesn't seem to be touching her dry food at all. What else other than egg yolk can you recommend to keep her health and body weight up until our Dr. visit? I would gladly welcome any replies from anyone who can offer some suggestions for getting some food in her belly, my wife commented that she now appears to have lost some weight. Thanks.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret trouble walking - Thursday, February 04, 2016 10:04 PM
Member in blocked list
CB

Re:Ferret trouble walking - Friday, February 05, 2016 9:52 AM
Thanks, I searched online some yesterday and the Gerbers chicken baby food seem to be the most commonly suggested food alternative for a ferret that won't eat their normal food. I took some home to her yesterday, and she ate it with no problem.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret trouble walking - Saturday, February 06, 2016 2:34 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages