Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 A few questions from a new owner
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
Fergal

• Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:17 AM
Hi all I am a new Ferret owner of 5 days. Fergal is his name and he is a three month old Kit. I have a few questions which I would appreciate answering please: 1. Litter training - He hasn't picked it up yet and on advice of others I am putting his mess into the tray wherever possible so he gets it. However, he continues to go in the wrong corner. Is this just a case of keep doing what I am doing? It is difficult to catch him and put him into the box. He has a three story cage but I have blocked off two levels until he gets it. However, I don't like keeping him on one level and would rather not do it for much longer. 2. Nipping - He has a habit for this, always playful and never aggressive. He hasn't drawn blood. I am spraying my hands and using a cat carrier as a naughty step. He nips more when it's the end of playtime rather than when I let him out. Again, should I continue to do more of the same? 3. I plan to get him neutered. Is three months too early? I'll also get him the distemper vaccine. I am hoping that you guys will tell me that he will grow out of the bad toilet training and nipping. It is proving hard work to clean up after him all of the time! Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing more to the forum
wenmister
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:51 AM
Member in blocked list
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 12:14 PM
Thank you :) I love the names you picked by the way!
wenmister
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 12:17 PM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 4:23 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:21 PM
Member in blocked list
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 5:30 AM
He has picked all 4 corners! Haha. Hopefully he will catch on to it but I am worried that he will continue as I have newspaper on every corner to catch what I can!He is also being naughty and burrowing into his food bowl, thus throwing it everywhere! Not sure how to stop this, any ideas?

I will post a photo later today :) Thanks to all of you for your replies.

MushusMomma

• Total Posts : 65
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 9:32 AM
A good way to stop the burrowing into the food dish is to make him a digging box, which is just an ordinary card board box filled with shredded news paper or bedding or stirafoam(sp) peanuts. And front playtime you can put him in there and let him dig to his hearts content. Or you can put a significant amount of bedding on the floor of his age so he can burrow in there. Ferrets love to burrow so that's what he's looking to do.
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 11:01 AM
Thank you I will do that :)
MushusMomma

• Total Posts : 65
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 2:48 PM
I'm new to ferrenthood too, my boy Mushu is a burrower as well and he loves his digging box
unclejoe
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Wednesday, October 07, 2015 12:46 PM
Member in blocked list
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Thursday, October 08, 2015 3:56 AM
Progress report... Litter pan training is getting better thanks to putting clothes into corners. However, I really need to secure the pan to the side of the cage.

As I couldn't let him out last night for his full 4 hours I put his bedding food and water into my hallway (now the ferret gym) and went to bed. I thought he would tire himself out and go to bed himself but no such luck! I had to get him back into his cage at 3am as he was keeping me awake!

It is all fun and games!
unclejoe
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Thursday, October 08, 2015 9:36 PM
Member in blocked list
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 13, 2015 1:10 PM
As promised, here is Fergal sleeping after an intense play session. Normally he makes it to his sleep box but he preferred to use a shoe as his pillow this time!

http://imgur.com/iIlF30W

2 weeks of ownership now. :)
unclejoe
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:58 PM
Member in blocked list
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Wednesday, October 14, 2015 6:59 PM
Litter training question. He is almost perfect on using the litter tra now. The only accident for a few days is when it got very dirty so he chose elsewhere. Been all good since with me cleaning up twice a day. As a result I am temptedto open up the other levels of the cage. What do you think? Too early? What is the best way to go about it or should I wait longer?
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Monday, October 19, 2015 6:29 AM
Sorry to chase but can someone help me with my question above? I have no one else to ask :( thanks!
unclejoe
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Monday, October 19, 2015 8:45 AM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:A few questions from a new owner - Monday, October 19, 2015 4:32 PM
I would also open it up but definitely do another box. I find, as unclejoe said, that my ferrets are extremely lazy when it comes to  middle of the night potty breaks. This is to the point where I have a litterbox right next to the one sleeping spot that my one boy likes to sleep in, haha.
Fergal

Re:A few questions from a new owner - Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:39 AM
Thanks for your replies :) Unfortunately I got home last night and he had gone in the wrong place (litter pan was relatively clean so no idea why). It has made me thnk it is too early but I may give it a go.

My curent cage has three levels. The bottom level has no door so he is at the top which is blocked off. The second level has a door but it is very small and I would not fit a pan through the door so that isn't really an option. i will just have to take a chance I guess! I was sold a rubbish cage in hindsight. Will have to get a new one! 
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message