Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 3 years old - Insulinoma
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36
tristanmac72

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
3 years old - Insulinoma - Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:36 PM

Hi All, 

seems one of my ferrets has Insulinoma, he is only 3 yrs 10 months and has been suffering with lethargy for a month or two and the past few weeks with weakness in back legs. Vet has done full blood tests and pretty much confirms it. 

They also saw some kind of lump next to adrenal glad, but unsure if its anything unless they do surgery. 

My questions are, should we go for surgery with the chance of not seeing anything (Vet wont just remove a section of pancreas for no reason), or go on medication until it comes back then do surgery?

Also wether or not we go for surgery, he and his mate have been on a good high quality Kibble from birth, but should i change to something else? I do have easy access to raw food but read that high quality cat food is much better for them?

Look forward to some wise words of advice ;)

Thx
bandit99
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:11 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:36 PM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:51 AM
Thanks both of you for your advice.

He at this stage does not have any diagnosis of adrenal disease, so I am focusing on his Insulinoma.
I was told he is fairly early on in the disease, so that is a good thing I guess.

Of course the main question is surgery or not - with surgery yes it has a risk but with a youngish ferret in 
a fit state for surgery (so vet informs me from his tests), many others suggest to give him the chance that it may work or at least delay the need for meds by perhaps 6-12 months.

OR bring him home and try the very best for him in the way of meds and other treatment.

I know some of you have suggested some solutions, I am in the UK so perhaps some of the things mentioned are not easily available, perhaps alternatives? 

If he is at the early stage of Insulinoma and I go for meds treatment, what can I expect to happen?
I would appreciate any further advice on the stages of the problem and how to react and treat it.

Finally if it a meds treatment we go for, what life expectancy should we realistically expect?

Thanks again ;)
bandit99
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:13 AM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:29 AM
Great thanks for the advice.

I am collecting him today so hope to start him on the right course straight away.

I have read so many duck soup cocktails, but what are the more simple options?
Is it right to buy chicken legs and boil them, then blend and add some kibble (blended) with water?

or are there some better options.

I do like your ideas, especially as your guys have lived such long lives so far and in the past!

bandit99
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 8:48 AM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:16 PM
Thanks

Just got him home and have ben given some Prednidale mix in water, and told to give him 0.1ml twice a day.
I am still waiting for the insulin results, but can I assume Im ok to continue using this med?

Will get the chicken all blended up tomorrow so hope to get him back to normal soon.

Even after 48 hours of the Vet giving him his Med, I see some improvement at home with him, having more energy
and slightly better on his legs..
bandit99
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, August 20, 2015 9:02 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Friday, August 21, 2015 6:48 PM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Saturday, August 22, 2015 2:48 PM
Thanks for the tips,

I will be trying boiled chicken with skin possibly with soften kibble, then blend.

Have tried raw/boiled eggs but he and none of my ferrets like it ;(
Doesn't the whipped cream give the opposite effect for a ferret that shouldn't have any sugar?

tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:56 PM
Hello All,

Well 3 weeks after our return from vet and little Yogi is doing ok. Been really trying to give him regular small and often meals of mainly either blended up cooked chicken and kibble with a bit of water, dry kibble and some very small bits of raw chicken which he seems to respond well too. 

I am sticking with the pred medication 0.1ml twice daily, but he does still wobble at certain times during the day so not sure if Im doing anything wrong. He loves a little walk in the garden with his mate, so all seems ok. 

Any other tips on diet or other that I should consider?

BTW - the results came back and showed a positive insulin level, and nothing abnormal, is that normal ? 
Even though his blood glucose levels were low.

Thx all!
unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:59 PM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Friday, September 11, 2015 4:56 AM
Thanks, I don't think they sell them here in the UK but will search ;) 

Would this link be what I need? http://www.storkz.com/true-21292002961.html

How do I get the sample? I can't imagine trying to stick a needle in to get blood :(

Thanks
<message edited by tristanmac72 on Friday, September 11, 2015 5:34 AM>
unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Friday, September 11, 2015 9:11 AM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:20 AM
Hello All,

Thought Id give you an update and maybe get some more advice...

My little cutie is ok, feeding him quite a lot of raw chicken and a soup mix of cooked chicken and kibble.

He's doing ok but I am finding recently that after he gets his meds (preds), then a bit of food, he claws at his mouth with some saliva. He is still flopping about a bit each day at certain times with weakness in his back legs, so should I increase his 0.1ml twice a day to a bit more?

unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Sunday, October 11, 2015 1:02 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Monday, October 12, 2015 6:49 AM
Member in blocked list
tristanmac72

Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Friday, October 16, 2015 3:56 PM
Thanks for the advice,

I usually give it to him on some blended/cooked chicken mixed with kibble. And then followed by more if he wants or some raw chicken breast. 

I did increase his meds x 2, and he has shown some improvement, with only a few times showing a quick spout of clawing at his mouth with saliva. So I would hope it has made him feel a bit better. 

I didn't get the Glucose machine yet, so need to order that online this weekend. Is it something that will help us ?

I will of course at some stage soon need to take him to the Vet for a check up and possibly look at surgery, but lets see how things go...

I would also like to try new foods that may improve him, so any other ideas would be appriciated 

Thx!
unclejoe
Re:3 years old - Insulinoma - Friday, October 16, 2015 6:39 PM
Member in blocked list
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages