Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Leashed indoors?
CWFurFam91

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Leashed indoors? - Monday, September 14, 2015 9:42 PM
Hello, 

I'm a new ferret parent, and have a beautiful little baby girl. I also have a cat and bird though that isn't mainly why I'm posting.

After doing a ton of research, I have mostly everything down..until the next time I post that is!  I basically have two questions, is it bad to leash your ferret whenever they're out of the cage even if indoors? My main reason is that I'm currently in a ground floor/finished basement apartment. In the near future this will change, but in the short term I'm terrified of my little woozle finding a crevice, nook, or hole that is an unfortunate reality where I live. She gets frustrated when I put her harness on, but afterwards has learned to deal with it and runs and chases the cat despite it. I'm considering modifying the length of the leash so that it's smaller but allows me to tug her out of an undesirable spot while indoors. I know I have to keep an eye on her when she's out but having to actually hold the leash the entire time is a bit of a hassle for both her and me, especially considering the amount of out of cage time she deserves.

Second, she is just so incredibly tiny/skinny that she slips out of the harness! Is this just something I have to deal with until she gets older or is there a harness that will fit a baby to where they can't slip out of it? I'm a nervous parent and watch her like a hawk. If she gets in a tight spot between chairs or something and slips it off I pick her up instantly and reattach the harness (which she hates). 

Anyway thank you for your help, I'm excited for the adventure with my little girl!

-W
bandit99
Re:Leashed indoors? - Monday, September 14, 2015 9:51 PM
Member in blocked list
CWFurFam91

Re:Leashed indoors? - Monday, September 14, 2015 10:07 PM
I feel dense not to have  thought of that! A top might be required as she has already displayed a tendency for climbing. I definitely will invest in one, she'll probably love leash free play time.

I will get her pic up soon! Thanks for the hospitality!

-W
wenmister
Re:Leashed indoors? - Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:28 AM
Member in blocked list
CWFurFam91

Re:Leashed indoors? - Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:00 AM
Well free play is a no go. There has to be some sort of limitation because well once she finds a crevice or hole in my basement apartment she is most likely gone forever.

I am going to heed advice of a playpen. Cat and ferret get along splendidly. My bird is a non issue and in a different room where play time occurs.

Thanks!
-W
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Leashed indoors? - Thursday, October 08, 2015 5:04 PM
When are you moving?

Another option is playpen for free-time but also using the leash to see if you can find the potential danger-zones. I definitely needed to do that in our new home to see where they found that they could get into. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread