Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret?
Scarlett Deschanel

• Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Thursday, September 24, 2015 11:20 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Scarlett. This is my first visit to this forum, but I'm excited to meet all the other ferret enthusiasts here. I am currently in the process of convincing my parents to let me have a ferret. Unlike many parents, they are not deadset against me getting a pet at all because they are open to the idea of me getting a bunny. Do you have any tips that might help me convince them that a ferret would be a better match for our family?
<message edited by Scarlett Deschanel on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:04 PM>
unclejoe
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Friday, September 25, 2015 9:46 AM
Member in blocked list
GitaBooks

• Total Posts : 23
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Monday, September 28, 2015 2:05 PM
Welcome! So glad you could join! Ferrets are adorable, fun, full of energy, and unique. However, they certainly aren't for everyone. They require a lot more time than a rabbit (though both love playing around the house), and they have a stronger smell (though rabbits, honestly, smell also if their litter boxes aren't kept clean). I've kept both, and both are amazing. Our rabbit was so, so, so full of unique personality and was our first pet, so I'm slightly biased when it comes to rabbits. She loved to play and kick up her heels and oink (yes, like a pig), she ate anything, played with towels, even jumping up on the table to eat out of your bowl, and loved to cuddle for minutes at a time, happily grinding her teeth. However, rabbits are more delicate, have less energy, and are far more into themselves then into you. Ferrets are like kittens that drank a coffee, they don't like to sit still and just like to be moving and exploring ALL THE TIME. They are simpler to feed then a rabbit, since they just need a high quality kibble while rabbits need a green mixture and hay. Both learn to use a litter box, but when a rabbit misses it is far less disturbing (both tend to miss with Number 2 more than 1). Ferrets are less delicate and can be picked up, rolled around, put on a leash to walk outside, ect. All and all, these are just my experiences, but I hope it helps. Best of luck finding a pet! I'll end with saying, having a rabbit with a ferret is terrifying, so don't get both. Ferrets eat rabbits in the wild, and they can escape so easily. It is a constant worry, so not worth the stress.
Scarlett Deschanel

Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:01 AM
Hey everyone. Thank you for responding. I probably should have put a little more background info into my original post. I have actually been going to all the websites, watching all the videos and reading all the ferret care books I can get my hands on for the past couple of years. I would not blindly be going into ferret ownership. I know that ferrets are a lot more work than other small pets, but I have just fallen in love with them. I totally understand that you guys don't want any more uneducated people buying ferrets that will end up being neglected, but I can assure you that if I ever get a ferret, it will be spoiled rotten ;). Scarlett P.S.--GitaBooks, both your ferret and your bunny sound adorable. They are lucky to have you!
<message edited by Scarlett Deschanel on Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:02 AM>
unclejoe
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Sunday, October 04, 2015 9:28 PM
Member in blocked list
Scarlett Deschanel

Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Monday, October 05, 2015 4:15 PM
To unclejoe-- I am thirteen years old. I'm used to reading ferret care books that say something like "If your child is begging for a ferret, don't get them one because they'll quickly lose interest", but I don't think this is me. I have been educating myself on ferrets for around two years, and I still continue to--by now I feel prepared to take on a ferret and pretty well informed on their needs. I totally understand your question though. It bothers me that most people who buy ferrets don't even do any research beforehand and it breaks my heart how many neglected animals there are in the world. I definitely wouldn't want to contribute to that.
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Monday, October 05, 2015 7:49 PM
At 13 you are entering the wonderful teen years. There are so many changes that will go on in your life over the next few years and you will have a hard time keeping up everyone does whether they admit to it or not. I really don't think it is the best time to get a pet that will take up a lot of your extra after school time and cost a lot of money to maintain. Ferrets get sick there have been times I have to get up every 2 to 4 hours to feed a sick ferret a special duck soup you can't do that and keep up your grades which should be on top of your list of things to be responsible for. All pets need time with you but ferrets seem to take up a lot more than most. A cat or dog is easier to take care of and on average you don't have to worry about all the diseases that a ferret can bring into your life if they come down with them. I would put your desire for a ferret on hold till you are on your own and your time is your own like after any schooling you need to have a good career. Lots of luck in all you do and I hope you will wait till later to get a ferret and just enjoy your teen years without complications.
GitaBooks

• Total Posts : 23
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Monday, October 05, 2015 7:57 PM
I agree with what is said above. However, I will add, dogs need a lot of time also. If you are going to be busy (and many teens do have time for pets), something that does not require so much emotional care, like training and petting or play time. A lot of teens keep things like fish, reptiles, or small rodents.
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 12:07 AM
I was just comparing a dog to a ferret. I certainly didn't mean to suggest dogs aren't needing time and care but I have 2 cats 13 ferrets and 1 dog and the ferrets take way more of my time than the others even when I only had one ferret. My dog at 7 still hasn't had a sick day neither have my 6 yr old cats I do have to feed them love them and at least the dog put out to go to the bathroom and of course clean the litter of the cats. If I go back to my first ferret when I only had one she got sick the very first year with an infection so off to the vets had to take off work to do it and of course the cage needs cleaning the hammocks and other bedding need washing every few days and the litter needs changing. Plus the ferret needed three hours out after I got home from work where as the dog and cats had run of the house when I was gone so didn't need specific time to be out plus with ferrets you have to stay around for their time out to make sure they didn't get into trouble. I have a ferret room now where the 13 ferrets have free roam all day but with one you rarely have this available. I also am retired now and get to play all day with animals but a teen doesn't have that kind of time.
Scarlett Deschanel

Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Wednesday, October 07, 2015 3:57 PM
Hey everyone. I do know that ferrets can be pretty high maintenance and accident prone, and I do agree that most teenagers are too busy (and irresponsible :D) for a pet like a ferret. But I actually have a LOT of spare time on my hands. I'm homeschooled, and my parents travel a lot with their jobs,so I tend to get a little bit lonely. I thought a ferret would be a good buddy to keep me company. I'm sure that if I were to get a ferret, I would have more than enough time to spend with him/her and nothing else better to do :) I do appreciate your expertise, though. I'll definitely consider waiting to get a ferret.
<message edited by Scarlett Deschanel on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 4:10 PM>
wenmister
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Wednesday, October 07, 2015 6:46 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Thursday, October 08, 2015 4:36 PM
I think the idea about volunteering is a great idea - at least to give you a hand on experience for how they are and the kind of work they take.

I'd like to share my thoughts because I loved ferrets all through my teen years but I did not get one (*coughcough*3*coughcough*) until I was an adult. 

Things change quickly. 

The homeschooling is probably a better scenario than most teenagers wanting a ferret because you will be at home versus away at school. But please think about the ferrets lifespan. It seems the bottom end is 6 years with people having them to ten years and further - depending on a variety of factors. The advancements in dietary knowledge will only extend that, as well. You have the time now, and I'm sure it's a little crappy for you that so many people are telling you to wait but please have an open mind. When I was 13 I was kind of "dorky" and spent a lot of time at home... then boom at 14 boys boys boys! I wasn't wild by any means but a lot more of my time was spent out and about hanging out with friends and boyfriends. This is when you're discovering who you are. Then you'll be 16 in 3 years and wanting to drive. Once you get your freedom you'll most likely be out more - especially since you were home schooled. 2 years after that is college. What are your plans for that? Are you going to a local school or moving away? At that point, if you aren't living at home, you need to think about a landlord that will allow ferrets (unless the stigma changes, it doesn't look good!). A dorm is out of the question with a ferret. Will your parents give the ferret the love and attention it needs if you choose not to take it to college with you? I know it seems so far away NOW, but that's only 5 years from your age now. 

Then you have around 4 years of school, assuming you're going for a traditional degree in the USA. During that time you're going to be wanting to hang out, go to parties, date, do school work and be at class, possibly have a job by then as well. At that time you'll have an elderly ferret that may need a lot of medical care. Will you be able to provide that? 

If you don't go to college what are the arrangements for who is responsible for the care of the pet after you reach adult hood. Apartments are expensive, bills are expensive. Ferrets, like any pets, have the tendency to get in trouble. You may have unexpected vet bills.

Those ideas aside, I don't think when people say you'll lose interest that they really mean you won't care anymore - that's definitely not the case. But a lot more rests on how much time you'll have and BE ABLE to devote to the care of the ferret. In my opinion, only ferrets need more attention than pairs+ (not that pairs+ don't need attention) because they have eachother to care for. 

All of your best intentions aside, a ferret is a BIG commitment. How will your parents handle it if potty training doesn't go as planned, or if the ferret becomes sick, eats something it shouldnt or gets an obstruction? Have you researched the medical complications that can happen with ferrets and decided on what you'll be able to provide if they happen. More importantly, have you discussed these possibilities with your parents? It's sad to say, but a lot of people feel more able to justify a medical treatment plan for something like a dog or a cat versus a small animal. What discussions have you had with your parents about this?

I'm not at all trying to be overwhelming to you, but these are all important things to consider. I waited to get a ferret. I had a hamsters when I was young and then got a dog around 14 (my mother and stepfather ended up keeping him when I moved out because I couldn't afford it). I would not have been able to feed the ferrets an acceptable diet if I had gotten them at a younger age (try justifying 50$+ dollars a month to your parents for simply food and other necessities. Granted, I have 5 animals eating the same food). 

I got the first two ferrets 3 years ago, and the third one 1 year ago. I was married but still in college. Working a part time job, being a full time student and being in a serious relationship was a serious drain on my time BEFORE getting ferrets. Afterwards it was more time devoted to them as well. I went out less (which for my lifestyle is fine). I limited vacations and trips to ones I could either take the ferrets with me (visits to family) or I had to make sure that I did not take ones longer than a weekend because I didn't have people I could trust to watch them. 

Overall I am so glad I waited to get ferrets until I was an adult. I have the income to get them great food, more toys than they ever care about, the best cage I felt existed, and if one of them (knock on wood) gets hurt, then I have the means to make a decision based on the animal's prognosis rather than my checkbook. I think if you wait you'll enjoy them much more as an adult rather than as a teenager. 

As a different idea, if your parents are open to small animals why not rats? Rats like 3ish years (I'm not an expert I could be wrong, do your own research) and I have read they have adorable personalities and are a super fun pet. Given their life span, it seems it might fit your age a little better to have something that will be less of a commitment in the longrun. 

If none of us manage to sway you - at least try to adopt an older ferret who perhaps is potty trained already, who may pass the bridge by the time you're starting your adult life and college. 
<message edited by Seelen on Thursday, October 08, 2015 4:44 PM>
unclejoe
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Thursday, October 08, 2015 9:33 PM
Member in blocked list
Scarlett Deschanel

Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Friday, October 09, 2015 7:55 AM
wenmister- I've called around and it seems like none of my local animal shelters take in ferrets :( . And the nearest ferrets specific shelter is too far away to visit on any regular basis. It would be a fun one time thing, though. Seleen- I'm starting to see how getting a ferret might become a burden of sorts in the future. I think I'll wait a while and see if a ferret is still a good pet option for me. Thank you so much for your response.
Simmonz

• Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 13
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Wednesday, July 27, 2022 3:38 PM
For me, when choosing assistance, reliability and comfort are important. I searched and found service RushMyEssay.co.uk  that offer more than just essay writing services. They offer me support and advice on all issues related to essay writing. Plus, if necessary, experts are ready to edit the essay.
MillaMilla

• Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 36
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Thursday, April 13, 2023 5:20 PM
Check for customer support: Make sure the company offers good customer support. They should be available 24/7 to answer any queries or concerns you may have. Then you can find best cheap essay writing servicebest cheap essay writing service.
MillaMilla

• Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 36
Re:How to convince my parents to let me have a ferret? - Thursday, April 27, 2023 3:30 PM
Where to find cheap essay help?These services help students improve their essays by checking for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors, as well as ensuring that the essay follows the required formatting style.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread