Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets and other pets
GitaBooks

• Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets and other pets - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 12:09 PM
I have heard many times that people keep ferrets and cats together and they get along. However, while I sort of found this the case, I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences to me. We took in an orphaned kitten named Nym, a sweet little 2 week old. We wanted him to be raised with other animals, so he would know how to behave, but the ferrets liked to bully him. Navasca would grab his scruff and try to drag him around to show her dominance. As Nym grew he was fast enough to stop the bullying, but eventually he grew too much. As an adult he chased the ferrets, grabbed them by the scruff and would hold them in his mouth, kicking them with his back legs. They would hide from him most of the time, as he didn't play very fair. It was pay-back certainly, but it got to the point where it was too rough to let them play anymore. Have you ever had issues like this?
Attached Image(s)
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Tuesday, October 06, 2015 4:47 PM
I have a Siamese cat that if one of my ferrets is alone she will try to attack although now my ferrets don't let her near and when they see her they double or triple up I have 13 ferrets. If there are two ferrets coming up to her she screams and runs away which is fine. My other cat Katie even sleeps with them and they never hurt one another. What your cat is doing is not rare if I had only one ferret I would have to keep the ferret and cat separate because a cat can cause damage to a ferret if he grabs hold the way you say he does. You can't force it I doubt they will ever get along my Gidget (the Siamese) is 6 yrs old and still doesn't like ferrets.
unclejoe
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Wednesday, October 07, 2015 12:51 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Thursday, October 08, 2015 4:55 PM
I wouldn't allow them to play together either. 

As a rule from what I've read it's bad to let kittens and ferrets play together. The ferrets have the potential to injur the kitten more than the kitten would possibly injur the ferret (at that age). I think if you waited to introduce him he would have been okay, but he most likely grew up thinking he had to assert dominance because the ferrets were rough when Nym was little.

I have two cats and 3 ferrets. My one cat loves then and plays with them (a little rough sometimes but never claws or bites), the other does not like them and would bite them if she thought she could get away with it (though I don't think she'd seriously injur one). I can allow my ferrets and cats to freeroam most of the time without expecting an issue, but I do confine the ferrets to the kitchen at nigth so the cats have places to get away from them (even though the ferrets sleep all night usually). 
Oliver D

• Total Posts : 10
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Thursday, October 22, 2015 6:20 PM
My ferrets live with four dog two cockers and two pavement specials and theres only once been any aggresion shown by the dogs and that specific dog got a full discharge of ferret stink and a nice bite on the nose
unclejoe
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Friday, October 23, 2015 11:10 AM
Member in blocked list
vijayandrson

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:32 PM
Ferrets can be geet to that along with many dogs, but it will  be taken for the plenty of effort on your part. Some dogs are instinctive hunters and not a goood match, such as terriers who were bred to kill rats and other small prey, or guarding dogs who may be more likeely to bite if provoked. Retrieverdogs seem to do well with ferrets.

informatica training in chennai |  informatica training chennai | informatica training 
Texasy

• Total Posts : 40
Re:Ferrets and other pets - Sunday, December 13, 2020 1:01 PM
The length of the day also affects the temperature. Long winter nights at high latitudes allow radiation emitted by the Earth's surface to escape into the atmosphere. Snow cover also affects climate, because it reflects incoming solar radiation and amplifies cooling https://animalswiki.info/animales-oviparos/ .

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread