Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Rabies distemper
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points : 0
Rabies distemper - Wednesday, August 26, 2015 2:57 PM
is IT neccesary ? How many people have gotten the for the ferrets? 
unclejoe
Re:Rabies distemper - Wednesday, August 26, 2015 5:30 PM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:Rabies distemper - Friday, August 28, 2015 10:29 PM
Yeah, my vet offered to use the puppy distemper vacc but said that it's not really a big deal so mine aren't vaccinated. I mean, distemper is a big deal if it happens, but my ferts don't go outside and my only animal who does is vaccinated, so there's really no potential for exposure. Rabies I would get, although as I said if you keep them inside and vaccinate animals that go in and out they won't get it anyway. Mine are vaccinated for rabies because it's required by law where I live (except for one who has a letter of exemption from the vet). The rabies isn't that expensive, it's like 30 bucks generally.
wenmister
Re:Rabies distemper - Saturday, August 29, 2015 6:51 AM
Member in blocked list
kesjames

• Total Posts : 83
Re:Rabies distemper - Sunday, August 30, 2015 5:00 PM
That's true, but also (sadly) true for a lot of other nasties (like external parasites, which are particularly common) and fortunately I haven't had a problem with those either. Living in Florida, I'm much more concerned about heartworms and don't really take my ferrets outside for the majority of the year. But there is always a chance. Distemper has only a 50% survival chance WITH TREATMENT, but public health officials don't worry about it much because it doesn't infect humans so even dogs aren't required to be vaccinated in all places. 

Anyway, I don't think there's any downside to vaccinating for distemper unless you're really anxious about using products off-label. So if you're really worried about them getting it or you have some lifestyle that may make exposure more likely (like living in an area with a lot of raccoons, which frequently carry distemper, or being a wildlife rehabilitator, etc.) and you have the vet's ok, why not? Don't know how much it costs but I would imagine about the same as rabies. A small price to pay for peace of mind. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread