Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ferret with a foot fedish
LandC

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
ferret with a foot fedish - Sunday, August 02, 2015 11:42 AM
Hello, I have been a ferret owner for a little better than a year now. We got our wee fuzz when he was about 4 months old from a petstore, namely because we have very few breeders even remotely close to here, central illinois, and the closest rescue is in chicago, not good options. Anyway, ever since we got him he has been obsessed with biting feet. When he was younger it didnt really hurt so we tried to just ignore him and not give him a reaction, but it didnt take long and he could bite quite hard. We tried just barefoot thinking it might be the socks, and that worked for about a week. However, he began he rein of terror once again. We finally just  adopted the policy of wearing shoes when he was out. Is this normal behavior for all ferrets, or is he kind of a special case? We will continue to do what we have to to cope with our fur balls obsession, but we kind of hoped he might one day grow out of this, because we feel that it might reduce the amount of time we are spending with him for the simple fact that we have to take the extra measures before we get him out. Any thoughts?
wenmister
Re:ferret with a foot fedish - Sunday, August 02, 2015 4:56 PM
Member in blocked list
LandC

• Total Posts : 2
Re:ferret with a foot fedish - Sunday, August 02, 2015 7:50 PM
Okay I will have to give that a try. Good to know I'm not alone.
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:ferret with a foot fedish - Monday, August 03, 2015 5:51 PM
YEP Normal!
Listen to what Wenmister said try to distract them. 
We had a foster who was a biter (not a nibbler a BITER) Wenmister adopted him about 1 1/2 yrs ago and has had a lot of success getting him to stop.

You can also scruff/drag/hiss. 

It sounds as if he isn't biting out of fear or to be mean but to initiate play

Ignoring it will not help and wearing shoes is not going to solve the problem, just make you not feel the bite which can be bad if you don't know they are there as you can step on them. 

You will however need everyone in the house that interacts with him to do the same, consistency and patience is the key.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread