Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time
blueroses99

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Wednesday, July 15, 2015 7:58 PM
Hi all, so I purchased a new kit a few days ago. I have an older ferret and they are getting along well for the most part. But the new kit is not eating his food at all. He drinks just fine. He is very sleepy all the time and enters a dead sleep often. He just wants to cuddle with us and not play too much. He is set to go to the vet next Tuesday but I am worried. My ferrets get around 6-8 hours a day out of their cage to explore, play, sleep and be around us. I have fresh water and wet food around 24/7. I have tried to put a bit on my finger and put it on the inside of his mouth so he can get a taste and recognize it as food. 
wenmister
Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:11 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Wednesday, July 15, 2015 8:37 PM
Member in blocked list
blueroses99

Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Wednesday, July 15, 2015 9:10 PM
Hi I believe he was being fed Marshall's premium select. We have the same brand and we have one bowl of straight dry food and one bowl of moist food. I finally got so worried I just dipped my finger in the wet food and smeared it in his teeth and gums and he started licking it off my finger and finally chowed down on the moist food in the bowl. 

Do you think I should get some jars of meat baby food to help him out or give him time?
unclejoe
Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Thursday, July 16, 2015 7:50 AM
Member in blocked list
blueroses99

Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Thursday, July 16, 2015 5:43 PM
Thank you Unclejoe. 

My fiance and I decided that this weekend we will make a duck soup mixture and buy some jars of meat baby food to mix in his moist kibble. Our older ferret we were very lucky. When we brought him home he was a bouncy boy and ate right away and switched food relatively easily. Our new baby will only eat when I put him right in front of the mixture now and he is still sleeping endlessly. He actually slept in bed with us for a bit. But he is drinking okay and his waste looks normal. So I'll bring it up to the vet on Tuesday and in the mean time just try to keep his food intake up and cuddle him. 
unclejoe
Re:New Kit not eating and sleeping all the time - Friday, July 17, 2015 8:16 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages