Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Should I get a Ferret?
Funky.Ferret

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Should I get a Ferret? - Monday, June 29, 2015 12:46 AM
Hey everyone :)

For around 5 years now, I have wanted to add a ferret to my family. I have been researching, saving up and talking to people. 

Although I have been researching, I am still unsure of something. I do not know if I should buy an adult ferret or a young one. 

I was offered a female ferret that was desexed and had all vet work done, but she hadn't  been getting much attention and would nip. 

Would buying a young ferret be better? I was thinking that if I got a young ferret, I could raise it to better match my family. 

Thanks in advance! 
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Monday, June 29, 2015 1:55 AM
If you get a kit they have a tendency to nip but if you work with the kit it will stop nipping as will an older ferret. I have had 48 ferrets in the last 17 yrs and I did rescue ferrets for many years. I bought many kits I had to train a few of them not to nip but since I let them pick me out at the pet store I found they at least didn't nip me much but I still had to make sure they didn't nip anyone else like my grandkids. Now biting is another matter I had one ferret Lucky who was a young kit 6 wks old when I got her and a biter and I was able to keep her from biting me most of the time but I never let anyone else touch her she was a rescue a petstore asked me to take her since they couldn't stop her from biting so they couldn't sell her. There is a big difference between training a kit who is a nipper and one who bites for real luckily out of 48 I only had one who actually bit. I loved my rescues they were older and maybe not treated that well because they all seemed to love being in my home because I treated them so like the lovely pets they were and they turned into kissers and cuddlers quicker than any new kit. Go check out some kits to satisfy your curiosity but also if you have a rescue in your area check there too and you may find just what you want in an older ferret kits are quite a hand full for a new owner and it takes time for them to settle down and let you even pet them much. I personally would recommend an ferret about 2 yrs old or more.
unclejoe
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Monday, June 29, 2015 7:08 AM
Member in blocked list
Funky.Ferret

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Monday, June 29, 2015 8:28 AM
Thanks for the advice :) A friend introduced me to a breeder who lives quite close. The breeder is selling well handled babies who have started basic training. 

I also found a rescue but unfortunately they do not have good first time ferrets. Many of the ferrets they get are surrendered and need experienced owners who can help them :( 

I'd be willing to put the work into a baby if I can't find the right adult ferret. I'm also on holidays at the moment, giving me lots of extra time. 
unclejoe
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Monday, June 29, 2015 4:10 PM
Member in blocked list
raml

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 2:14 AM
A breeder with well handled ferrets is a very good place to start with your search for a pet ferret. You are right a lot of the rescued ferrets do need experienced owners since many have been ill treated. I always kept mine I never could give them up once I had them medically and physically fit. I am retired and it was a way of keeping me busy. I now though have stopped rescuing the past few years to get the number of ferrets I had at once down to a more reasonable number since they need vets a lot as they get older and that does get expensive. I now have just 16 once I get to 5 or 6 I may rescue once in awhile again.
Funky.Ferret

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Thursday, July 02, 2015 2:30 AM
Thanks again everyone for the advice! Yesterday, I went to visit the breeder and fell in love with a beautiful little sable boy. Today, I made up my mind and bought him. He's very playful and friendly and he's only nipped me a few times in the 5 hours that I've had him. He's already litter trained too, so that's a bonus :D thanks for the help! 
unclejoe
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Thursday, July 02, 2015 8:00 AM
Member in blocked list
raml

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Friday, July 03, 2015 12:37 AM
Yes pictures please.
Funky.Ferret

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:04 AM
I have yet to figure out how to add photos - I'm on my phone - but I will post some as soon as I can :D

The past few weeks have been a series of ups and downs. I took my boy (who is named Soren) to my exotic animal vet and turns out I was given him sick by the breeder :( I was very disappointed that such a highly recommended breeder did this. 

He's such an amazing little boy and loves dooking and playing! I've managed to ferret-proof my living room and hallway and he loves it. 

He's very affectionate and gives me kisses. 

I took him for a walk and we had so much fun :) We just had some fun out the front of my house and down the street. It's funny how many people think ferrets are vicious and dangerous! Some of the looks I got from people were disgusting! A woman approached me and told me that it was dangerous walking my ferret close to the park as he may bite a child... 

I've made a big cage set up for him and he is great with the litter box. He's only made a mistake once when out of his cage, but it was my fault. I didn't put the litter box out. 

In the future someday, I may even consider getting him a friend to keep him company when I'm gone :) 

I definitely didn't make a mistake when I bought him.. Not once little bit of regret! 

Thanks again everyone for the help and advice.
unclejoe
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Sunday, July 26, 2015 10:48 AM
Member in blocked list
Funky.Ferret

Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Tuesday, July 28, 2015 9:38 PM
I have tried contacting the breeder, but they have not replied :( 

He isn't vicious but has problems with adult men. I'm not sure why, but he usually doesn't let any guy touch him. It's funny how people are so accepting of dogs (which are probably more dangerous) and so unaccepting of ferrets.

Thanks! I'll go on my computer later and upload some photos.
unclejoe
Re:Should I get a Ferret? - Wednesday, July 29, 2015 7:23 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages