Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Want to own a ferret
keykaye

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Want to own a ferret - Monday, June 15, 2015 4:37 PM
This is going to be a while from now, maybe a year or so because i have to move out of my current home so i have space or the little guy/gal, then save up money into a account for supplies/vet/toys/ect. However i have been doing my own research on ferrets but i want some tips or advice from owners. I have experience with other pets including rats, gerbils, cats, and dogs. Please bear with me on all the questions I'm just trying to be super thorough. 1. So they will have their own room that will be closed off from the rest of the house, how would you guys advise setting up a barrier or gate to keep them in there(I will be in there with them) 2. Recommended foods? I read around and found that this seems to be a good brand and the for ferrets "Wysong Ferret Archetype Chicken Formula Ferret Diet" This also comes in quail and rabbit too. 3. I have heard that ferrets that are by themselves bond with their owners more then a pair, but would a ferret like to have a playmate at all? I've heard if you have a young ferret and kitten bond from young ages they can be together when older, but my current cat is 7-7 1/2 years old so i don't believe that would work for her. Wouldn't want either animal hurting themselves or each other in a scuffle. 4. Do you recommend walking a ferret outside on a leash? Or going to a secluded park that's not known for having a lot of dogs or anything for them to play? 5. I know ferrets have to have rabies shots, so should i always keep a collar on them with their tags? Or would the collar irritate the animal. 6. What types of Litter? I am planning on using corner trays for their cage and just a high wall cat box for in the room when they are roaming, what type of litter would be best for them? But if the cat decided to use the outside box wouldn't hurt her either. 7. What to use and how often should i bathe them? I have been to pet stores and handled the ferrets and noticed that some, males more then often, have a strong musky smell to them. Sometimes the females have a smell as well, so how should i wash them, how often, and with what?
unclejoe
Re:Want to own a ferret - Monday, June 15, 2015 5:14 PM
Member in blocked list
keykaye

Re:Want to own a ferret - Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:15 PM
so use square boxes like inside the room, alright what kind of litter would be best for them? I'm wanting something that could be scoopable but wont harm the animal.
unclejoe
Re:Want to own a ferret - Thursday, June 18, 2015 5:17 PM
Member in blocked list
keykaye

Re:Want to own a ferret - Tuesday, June 30, 2015 4:36 PM
well i have this bedding i use for my rats called Kaytee Soft Granule, it seems to work well for them so maybe for ferrets to?
unclejoe
Re:Want to own a ferret - Wednesday, July 01, 2015 10:53 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages