Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin
Max_and_Tilly

• Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Saturday, May 30, 2015 3:35 PM
A few months ago I found a ferret, Tilly, in my back yard. She's old, has abnormal poops, but is otherwise healthy. I have her eating the ZuPreem 40/20 since she's allergic to corn and that's the only brand in the city that doesn't use it. She's done very well on this food, gaining a lot of weight (she was emaciated when I found her) and her hair is growing back but she still has the poop problem. A few days ago my vet told me to feed her some pumpkin or probiotic yogurt because he thought the problem might be her gut bacteria. 

Today I tried giving her these foods but I can't get her to eat either of them. However, she seems to be more tolerant of the pumpkin. I tried giving it to her straight from the can, heated up on a plate, and mixed with some mashed food all to no avail. I was able to get her to eat a tiny amount of it by slathering it over her favourite treat. That amount wasn't nearly as much as my vet told me to give her. My other ferret, Max, did eat the mash though so at least I can give it to him that way if he ever gets this problem. 

Does anyone know of any other tricks I can try? Right now my only plan is to just give it to her once a day on a treat until she'll eat it by itself.
<message edited by Max_and_Tilly on Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:43 PM>
wenmister
Re:Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:27 PM
Member in blocked list
Max_and_Tilly

Re:Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Saturday, May 30, 2015 8:09 PM
Thanks wenmister, I'll try the baby food with her. She's an old ferret so getting her to try new things is really difficult.

Just now I got an idea. I'll see if putting a few drops of ferretone in the pumpkin will work. She can't get enough of that stuff! I already gave her some today so I'll try it tomorrow.

If I do try the chicken soup I don't think I'll add any cream. I've had Tilly for almost a year now and she's gained a lot of weight (at least for her body size.) She has quite the belly on her now.

I'll try to post updates incase anyone wants them.

Max_and_Tilly

Re:Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Sunday, May 31, 2015 10:29 AM
It worked!

I mixed some ferretone into the pumpkin, then drizzled more on top of it. It was an ungodly amount of ferretone but it worked! I'll try to ween her off of the extra ferretone so she doesn't get too much oil.
unclejoe
Re:Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Sunday, May 31, 2015 1:26 PM
Member in blocked list
ferretfuzz

• Total Posts : 9
Re:Trouble getting ferret to eat pumpkin - Sunday, June 07, 2015 4:32 PM
I had issues getting mine to eat pumpkin too. They hate the duck soup to so I made a batch of my own with pureed chicken, liver, pedialyte, furovite, and the pumpkin. I was having to give it to 2 ill ferrets after we rescued them. They would not eat and we had to use syringes to get them to eat, drink, and meds. They hated us for a while but Trystan is doing great Wallie sadly was 7 yrs old when we rescued him and sadly crossed the rainbow bridge back in January. The funny thing about the mixture I made is my other ferrets liked it too minus the pumpkin.
FerretFuzz

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message