Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do!
tmg1993

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:04 PM
Hello

About 2 months ago my ferret Tyrion became very ill.  I researched the internet and all signs pointed towards insulinoma.  I thought it was odd because he was only 6ish months old.  Took him to the vet and it was a respiratory infection; got some meds, having to upgrade later to a stronger anti-biotic (baytril).  Anyways...I didn't notice his appetite going away until it was almost too late.  I feel really bad for not doing something about it earlier.  Ever since about a month ago, he has hardly been able to move or do any fun things normal ferrets do.  He poops himself because he cannot gather the energy to even use the litter box.

About a week and a half ago I started feeding him FerretVite as his main source of nutrition.  I figured he would gain some weight since it's high calorie.  He was 1 lb 12 ozs last week and just under that this week.

I am lost at this point.  I would do anything to get my little guy okay again.  I don't see how he has yet to gain a single oz since I began using FerretVite.  I just opened my third bottle of FerretVite.  I leave softened ferret kibble in the cage as well in case he doesn't have the energy to chew the hard kibble, but he ignores it.  He will only eat babyfood if I slowly syringe it into his mouth, but even then I feel like I would have to feed him a ton of that just to get the bare minimum calories. 

edit: I asked Petco employees (no on there seemed to know much about ferrets heatlh) and they said unflavored Pedialyte is good to mix in their water to help them keep hydrated.  I do that as well.

It's so sad to see him sit there helpless all day.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Tanner

<message edited by tmg1993 on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:35 PM>
bandit99
Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:45 PM
Member in blocked list
tmg1993

Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:54 PM
bandit99

I'm so sorry your baby isn't feeling well. Ferret it's isn't good for him. Full of sugar. Ferrets are very prone to insulinoma. Get some chicken baby food and make a soupy with it. Mix maybe 4 jars with an egg and maybe a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. You can get a small carton in the dairy section. You can also use softened kibble in it and purée it together in a blender. Syringe feed him at least 3-4 times a day. As much as h'll eat at a time. More often if he won't eat much.
I'm up most nights at work if you want to pm me for help.

Thank you for the fast reply.  I have heard that before, but why do some many people recommend FerretVite for ill ferrets?

I've tried to make him a soup with baby chicken food, ground kibble and an egg yolk but he refuses to eat it.  Even when I do syringe feed it, I'm not sure how much to give him at a time/when he is full.  I'm obviously not feeding him enough calories.

It just baffles me he didn't gain a single oz in a week with FerretVite.  :\ 

I have heard that Ensure is safe for ferrets and helps get them nutrition when they refuse to eat, would you recommend using that instead of FerretVite?  

Gotta wake up in 5 hours for work but ill check this thread tomorrow.  Thanks again 
<message edited by tmg1993 on Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:59 PM>
bandit99
Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:59 PM
Member in blocked list
tmg1993

Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:16 AM
bandit99

I think some like to use it to jump start their appetite. Unfortunately it really not good for them. Sugar in their diet can cause insulinoma down the line. I know forcing them to eat is no fun but you may have to. If you can get Ferretone that might help encourage him to eat. Maybe give him a little every so often while syringe feeding him. 

Hmm okay.  Well I'll try and feed him more Duk soup and less FerretVite.  I'll go to the store tomorrow and pick up some more baby food and some whipping cream.

Three questions though

• How can I know that he's getting enough calories?  I was sure that he would have gained a bit this past week, but he hasn't.  I guess I'm not force feeding him enough.
  • How long does the Duk soup recipe you shared last you?
Also a tad unrelated to the original topic,

• Since he poops himself his fur gets dirty very quickly.  I've had to wash him multiple times the past few weeks which I know is bad for his fur.  How can I clean him without stripping his fur's oils?
Thank you very much for your help.  If anyone else has something to pitch in I'm still open to suggestions :D

bandit99
Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:44 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:54 AM
Member in blocked list
bandit99
Re:My ferret has been malnourished for over a month, not sure what to do! - Thursday, May 28, 2015 3:06 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message