Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferret won't leave cords alone
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
Ryuu2713

• Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret won't leave cords alone - Saturday, May 09, 2015 11:18 PM
My ferret in the past usually left cords alone. We've moved into a new apartment and he won't leave the hanging cords to my aquarium setup alone. If he pulls on one of these cords too hard, it will pull the light into the aquarium, electrocuting my turtles. It is hooked into an outlet that will shut off in the event of an overload, but it is still dangerous. I don't know how to deter this behavior. I've sprayed the cords in bitter spray, he doesn't care. I've tried 3-5 minute time outs when he does it. Doesn't work. He immediately goes after the cords when he gets out and he is in and out of time out non-stop for hours with no break. I've gotten to the point where if he does it, he just goes in his cage with no play time for the rest of the evening. I know that's not a good way to discipline a ferret, but I'm at my wits end and can't allow him to endanger himself and my turtles.
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:02 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:57 AM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 10:47 AM
It isn't an issue of him chewing the cord. He jumps at them and tries to pull them down. It's possible I can unplug it while he is out but thats not an ideal solution as it's not great for the turtles.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 5:56 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:11 PM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Sunday, May 10, 2015 11:07 PM
unclejoe

Better to secure them.  Eve duct tape is better than unplugging fir turtles' sake. What kind of turtles?

They are  Northern Black Knobbed Map Turtles. I have no way of blocking it off that works. I have a pet gate that wraps around, but he is relentless and eventually gets through it. There is nowhere I can duct tape the cords that will keep him away either. I'm at a loss...
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 11, 2015 7:53 AM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 11, 2015 7:55 AM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 11, 2015 2:12 PM
Distracting him does help temporarily, but as soon as i let go, he begins again. As for tunnels, if you can possibly believe this, my ferret doesn't like tunnels. He won't play in them. I've provided several ferret tunnels from different brands and he just chews on the outside and refuses to enter them.
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 11, 2015 10:41 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I've blocked off the area and now he just sits there and digs the carpet. I've tried everything I can think of to get him to stop and I'm ready to rip my hair out. He's never been like this before and its making me reconsider keeping him as a pet. I don't know what to do at all.
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:53 AM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:42 PM
wenmister

sits there and digs the carpet

Put down some clear plastic carpet runner.

I will look into that. I just spent twenty minutes repeatedly scruffing him as he tried to get over the fence I used to block the aquarium off. Then when he finally gave up, it only lasted about thirty seconds before we did that dance again for twenty minutes. This is really exhausting. He has never acted like this before over anything. It's upsetting.
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:40 PM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 25, 2015 8:18 PM
I've put down vinyl tiling so that he can't dig up the carpet, and the gate is holding well enough but he will spend all his time trying to get back there. You say its not worth scruffing, but as long as he continues this, I can't let him out of the cage. He never acted like this before and I'm considering finding him a new home, which I've never considered before because I love him so much. But I can't give him what he needs when I can't allow him to play because he won't stop destroying the carpet trying to get back there to electrocute my turtles.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Monday, May 25, 2015 9:02 PM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:52 AM
unclejoe

How about this?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-6-ft-Cable-Neat-Organizing-Tubing-Black-43037/203716823

wrap electrical tape every foot or so to keep it closed.  There has to be some way to secure it to that table the aquarium is on...

I will give it a shot. I think he'd find a way to just tug on that instead, but will try.
unclejoe
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:05 PM
Member in blocked list
Ryuu2713

Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:23 PM
I have hooked them up on a wire holder against the wall. So far, it is working and he is ignoring it. Lets hope it keeps working.
wenmister
Re:Ferret won't leave cords alone - Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:03 AM
Member in blocked list
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages