Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Problems with Litter box training
higgsjoson

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Problems with Litter box training - Saturday, May 23, 2015 2:42 PM
Hello all, I'm new to these forums and I need advice.
I have two 4 year old male ferrets. I've had them for a couple years now, and while one has no problems with litter box training, the other still rarely uses it. He's picked a corner he wants to poop in, and will go there regardless of what I've put there. I've tried putting a bed there, I've put his food and water bowl there, and he still poops there. I will have just cleaned the cage very thoroughly and he'll go right to that corner and poop, forcing me to clean the cage again.
This behavior is driving me nuts to the point where I have considered giving them away on several occasions. 
Any advice is appreciated.
jojoish

• Total Posts : 1
Re:Problems with Litter box training - Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:33 PM
What is preventing you from putting a litter pan in that corner?
unclejoe
Re:Problems with Litter box training - Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:32 PM
Member in blocked list
higgsjoson

• Total Posts : 3
Re:Problems with Litter box training - Monday, May 25, 2015 5:35 PM
jojoish: This isn't really an option. It's one of the upper level shelves, and it's only about 6-8 inches wide. I have the two level Ware cage, with the doors on the side. If I put a litter box in that corner, my choices would be never being able to open that door, or having the litter box pushed over constantly. This is even if a litter box would fit, which I am doubtful of.

unclejoe: I'm not sure how this fixes the problem. The liquid would seep through the newspaper, and upon repeated use it just becomes a bigger mess to clean up. It also doesn't discourage them from using that corner, which is more of what I was aiming for. I'm not sure your suggestion to put newspaper outside the cage will be helpful since the problem is when he is inside the cage. After I lost the first thousand in security deposits I only let them out in a ferret-proofed bathroom.
unclejoe
Re:Problems with Litter box training - Monday, May 25, 2015 6:03 PM
Member in blocked list
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Problems with Litter box training - Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:46 PM
You might also try a small litter box. I know ferrets generally dislike not being able to have their entire body in a box, but it might either deter the ferret from using the corner (have you tried corner guards?) or catch most of the accident anyway. I think they're for like rats and stuff, like the large corner boxes for ferrets but much smaller. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread