Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
Ferret Poop and Stress Problems
JuliannaTheJinx

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Ferret Poop and Stress Problems - Saturday, May 23, 2015 11:18 AM
Hi, new to the forum but I need some advice.
I had 4 babies for a while and they were doing well and were happy and everything was fine and normal, but recently I decided to adopt a new baby ferret and that's when everything went from good to bad. For some strange reason ever since I got the new baby my ferrets have seemed sad and they're poop is very runny and watery. I don't know what to do because I've never experienced this at all in the past 3 years of owning ferrets, and I am worried that the new baby might have carried some kind of illness with it.
Should I be worried or do you suppose it is just stress of a new ferret that is causing the watery stool?
I am going to take them to a vet soon but I wanted to ask the opinion of other ferret owners since I am not as experienced with sicknesses in ferrets.
Is there any type of medication that you would recommend to help my babies poop become normal?
Or should I just wait and hope that they accept the fact that this is their new sibling? 

(also I would like to add that the baby ferret seems fine and healthy so far, other than still learning to use the litter in the corner like the  other ferrets, but his stool is normal and that's why I think it might be stress causing the older ones diarrhea. the new ferret is also a different color and type of ferret, all the others are sable masks and the new one is a cinnamon.)

They seem to like to poop on newspaper when they are outside the cage and playing, tried to introduce a litter box but they pooped outside and around it >.<

<message edited by JuliannaTheJinx on Saturday, May 23, 2015 11:28 AM>
wenmister
Re:Ferret Poop and Stress Problems - Saturday, May 23, 2015 7:56 PM
Member in blocked list
JuliannaTheJinx

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Ferret Poop and Stress Problems - Saturday, May 23, 2015 10:53 PM
wenmister

Baby can be carrying the ECE virus.  It does not effect the baby....but it may effect the older ferrets in the home.  I would keep eye on  the others and make sure they are drinking and eating. 

Stress can also do this....since you just added a new ferret into your business of ferret.

I can only go to the vet on Monday so hopefully it's not a virus or anything
Hopefully it's just stress since they are so used to being the only babies around right now. They aren't eating that much but they are drinking tons of water, I've been monitoring them all day and they seem fine and look healthy. 
Hopefully it passes before I take them to the vet.

Also I found out that I accidentally put vitamins that were past expiration date on their food, do you think that might be the reason they feel sick right now?

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread