Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions...
Slinkers

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Sunday, May 10, 2015 1:07 PM
Hello everyone :-)

We just adopted a ferret from our local shelter and will be adopting a second one from them in a few days. The second is actually from the same person who surrendered the one we adopted, so they already know each other.

I have done a lot of research, but some things I was wondering weren't really answered anywhere that I could find. I was hoping maybe some of you could help.

I understand the ferret diet. I know their bodies cannot digest anything but meat. I am wondering, though, how I can make them interested in eating more than dry food? He seems to only want kibble. I did get him to tear into a rabbit meat chew (all natural meat chew in a stick), but he wants nothing to do with cooked chicken or baby food chicken even though it's stinky & wonderful smelling. I wiped some baby meat on his tongue but that effort appears futile. Also, what is the best kibble out there? Is there an option out there for them equal to Taste of the Wild dog food but for ferrets?

Also, what kind of toys do they play with besides a chew? I couldn't find types of toys ferrets love anywhere.

And last questions- do ferrets become affectionate like a dog or cat ever? How do I bone and play with them?

If you know of links or posts in this forum that you can just paste in a comment that will answer anything I am wondering, that's fine :-) 
This forum has lots of posts and it was hard to look through to find what I wonder.
Thank you in advance for your advice and help!

wenmister
Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Sunday, May 10, 2015 6:21 PM
Member in blocked list
Slinkers

Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:13 PM
Thank you! 

I appreciate your help. He's older so imprinting already happened. Same thing for the 2nd one coming home in a few days. I saw the soup recipe- I will make it this weekend when both ferrets are together. I will keep trying :-)

Slinker loves pants- it's hilarious. The toy ideas are great! Thank you.

It appears I have been doing okay so far with playing with him thus far :-)

unclejoe
Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Sunday, May 10, 2015 8:50 PM
Member in blocked list
Slinkers

Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Monday, May 11, 2015 4:39 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much. Definitely need to order those, too. :-)
wenmister
Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Friday, May 22, 2015 6:47 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Friday, May 22, 2015 2:56 PM
Member in blocked list
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:New Ferret Owner :-) A few questions... - Saturday, May 23, 2015 4:30 PM
- [This post was marked as helpful]
Tanis read your post and it sure sounds like you are feeding veggies and fruits so wenmaster was not wrong to assume you did.Chicken noodle soup is not food for a carnivore animal either. I have seen what bad diets can do to ferrets I had a rescue for years and still have 16 ferrets. I only have one rescue left though. My rescues never seemed to live long lives like my own that I purchased. I do believe that is because of diet. No veggie or fruit from my hand ever. I feed Orijen cat and kitten and Evo and zupreem kibble high in protein and fats the best food is probably raw or whole small animals but I just can't handle that. I have seen the horrible cancers ferrets can get at young ages too. I try my hardest to keep my ferrets alive and well on good food. I make a duck soup that is really high in protein that they all love besides kibble and I give them nbones for treats once in awhile that is it. I am not trying to accuse you of anything but wanting the best for your ferrets many people do not realize how bad veggie fruits and sugar are to ferrets it can kill them and not in a very nice way. When we give advice to new owners we like to make sure they know what is bad for ferrets so their owners can have ferrets that live long and healthy lives.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread