Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
LuLu Rad

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:37 AM
We rescued 3 fuzz butt in August last year (when I say rescue I mean found them on craigslist and met these people at their house; once inside the house it was a filthy disaster and reminded me of an episode of hoarders meets tweeker) 2 young ferrets (1 boy 1 girl approximately a year old) and an older ferret that they claimed to be around 4 (he had lost most of his hair) we took them home and bathed them they all had fleas. We have a dog, 2 cats, and 2 rabbits and never seen fleas like they had :( .... we immediately separated the older ferret from the 2 younger ones it was evident something happened to him on top of the hair loss he can't walk that great. We started him on straight ferret food, melatonin, and vitamins. He florished wonderfully. April 10th came and he went down hill wouldn't eat or drink, no pottying, and could only get him to eat duck soup and ferretvite until I got him into the vet on the 13th. Turns out he had 2 teeth that needed pulled badly, was give SubQ for slight dehydration, and a shot of antibiotics that would last 2 weeks. Since then he has been a whole new ferret! HERE IS THE ISSUE IM HAVING NOW: Today marks 3 days after the 2 week period of antibiotics and he's back to doing the same thing. Not eating or drinking, peeing but only one bowel movement in 24 hours but when let out of his cage he is a happy go lucky ferret that doesn't show any sign of being sick. I was told by the vet on the 13th that he is VERY old and most likely has arthritis at this point in his age. I would like to know what everyone's opinion is. Do I bite the bullet and take him and do the complete blood count for $150 and hope he doesn't pass away on me afterwards or do I continue with the duck soup and let him live out his days as a happy little ferret that he seems to be? The recipe I'm using for the soup does have his kibble in it! 
bandit99
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:50 AM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:15 PM
I know it's a hard decision. I do think I'm going to give until tomorrow and get him in with the vet and see if they will continue antibiotics for another 2 weeks without the blood work but if it'sa mmust then I will just pay. Wish they would arrange payment options with us
bandit99
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:08 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Friday, May 01, 2015 6:56 AM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Friday, May 01, 2015 3:12 PM
We have an appointment on Tuesday to go in for blood work. Hoping all goes ok! The vet recommended continuing his "duck soup" with ferret vite as long as he is eating it. She said him eating something is better than nothing and to make sure he's drinking if he gets worse than to call her and she will get us in through the weekend. 
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Saturday, May 02, 2015 10:59 AM
Just an update for now: our old man (rufus) is still denying his hard kibble but is willingly eating chicken baby food and duck soup with his ferretvite in it. He's not drinking as much water as I'd like but i will be starting to give him some in a syringe now. He also refuses to eat his dry kibble but goes straight for the dogs food bowl everyone he is out of his cage... any thoughts on that? He has started teeth grinding and rubbing his face on the ground again. I'm taking him to see a different vet than the previous one he saw the price difference is $100 if blood work needs taken and the receptionist spoke highly of their ferret vet on staff. The receptionist was completely outraged that the last vet trip we had didn't come with a full exam. The doctor never looked or felt around on him just looked at his teeth and pulled 2 of them. We are hoping that it won't be too expensive to treat if he does have a problem. :)
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Tuesday, May 05, 2015 5:49 PM
We just got back from the vet a couple of hours ago. We did a complete blood work up.... I've never been so irritated with one of my animals... I paid $125 3 weeks ago to have 2 of his teeth pulled and today i paid $225 for an office visit, wxam, zrays, amd the blood panel for the vet to tell me I have a healthy old ferret..... turns out the little fuzz butt is faking everything and is just tired of his Zupreem ferret food. This one likes to keep me on my toes apparently! 
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 6:37 AM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 12:35 PM
Hahahahaha YES!!! He did this to us! This morning it's funny yesterday not so much. :)  we are happy that he is healthy. His calcium, phosphorus, etc.... are a little low but the vet said he is positive that it's just from him only wanting to eat baby food and not eating his ferret food. We will be switching him on food to the Hill's ideal balance sensitive stomach. Any recommendations for cat food would be great to hear!! We plan on feeding only him the new food and keeping the other 2 fuzzies on what they are now which is zupreem. I might throw in some of the cat food every so often for a change for them as well. I am thankful he is healthy though!! His teeth definitely did need to come out previous to this trip yesterday.
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 7:10 PM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 8:06 PM
I've never heard of Pretty Pets... I'll have to look around. We are in a small town in Missouri but live 30 minutes from 2 big towns so we can get about any kind I would think. 
We are still shaking our heads and chuckling about this guy. If I could get my picture to load I would post a picture of him :)
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 7:27 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 7:27 AM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 10:30 AM
We have 2 Petsmarts and a Petco within 35 miles of us and quite a few vet clinics and smaller feed stores we pass on the way to them. Will definitely look into it inline. I looked last night and the price is about the same as the Ideal Balance! What's the opinion on Taste of The Wild cat food?? I remember I was going to purchase a bag of it for my cats to try them on but they are picky amd like their Friskies Grillers so i didn't want to spend the money on it and have deny it... I want to say it was a 4.5 star cat food. Just right under Blue Buffalo and the price is a bit cheaper than Blue.... Also if you could tell me what ingredients I should be looking for in any cat or ferret food that would be great!! I'm a first time ferret owner but my boyfriend and his parents have owned several. 
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 11:23 AM
Also what is the best protein source for ferrets? Chicken, duck, fish?? There are so many choices!  I'vealso read that you can give scrambled eggs as a treat has anyone ever done that?
wenmister
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 3:50 PM
Member in blocked list
LuLu Rad

Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 5:28 PM
I will have to try! :) 
Any recommendations on flea meds? Right now I have easy spot on them. It's$10.50 from the vet and will treat 2 of them 
wenmister
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Thursday, May 07, 2015 8:56 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:health issues and an EXTREMELY old ferret - Friday, May 08, 2015 6:47 AM
Member in blocked list
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages