Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 How often?
Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 0
How often? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:53 PM
How often should you vaccinate a ferret for rabies and canine distemper? I heard that annual vaccinations can actually be DANGEROUS as ferrets have a higher possibility (more than a cat or dog) to get a reaction from the shots.

Also, I heard that you shouldn't vaccinate a ferret at 8 weeks since they do not have a strong immune system, is this true?
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:How often? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:13 AM
Most people don't do rabies shots as it is not as likely as common thought thinks it is. If it is required by state law most have a clause exempting ferrets if you bring it up with your local wildlife enforcement office as harmful to the animal. Just make sure you read all your local, county, city, state, etc. laws. Canine distemper is more likely and fatal to ferrets but there isn't really a vaccine for distemper in ferrets. If you do distemper make sure it is the puppy distemper. 

If you are worried about side effects of a vaccine the best thing to do is to keep your ferrets away from other animals while on walks and limit who they touch. Ferret vaccines still aren't 100% perfect yet. I personally do not vaccinate because all of mine stay home or are kept away from other animals. I've seen what the vaccine side effects can do and don't want to take that chance. 
<message edited by leeandparker on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 3:23 AM>
unclejoe
Re:How often? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:20 PM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:How often? - Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:32 AM
wow, I didn't know that, my vet told me I had to do it every year I haven't got it done once, I just didn't think it was necessary.
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:How often? - Wednesday, May 06, 2015 7:48 PM
I have vaccinated in the past 1X a year rabies and distemper. Then Pirate had a bad reaction at the vet to a vaccine. From then on we did not vaccinate every year or at all (stopped distemper). We live in NYC so Ferrets are Illegal to own here so I try to at least do the rabies JUST IN CASE (don't want to give any other reason for them to be taken away, although they would have to shoot me before I would let that happen). BUT our ferrets don't go out side except once in a while we will take em into the back yard. They are around our 2 dogs all the time and our friends/families dogs do come over to play or stay a few nights if we are puppy sitting but they never directly interact with the other dogs/animals except to be sniffed through the cage/playpen (I don't trust any animal with my babies except my own pups). I know distemper is the more likely problem then rabies as it can be tracked into the house from paws or feet but it was the distemper shot that Pirate reacted to. 
Unlike most human vaccines that have been tested and refined. Ferret vaccines are not made for ferrets they use dog or cat vaccines as a substitute. Hence the issue and debate as to vaccinate or not. Is it good for them? Does it harm them? Is it effective? Is the dosage correct? Until they develop a Ferret specific vaccine these issues/questions will be a case by case basis. What your vet says and what you feel is best for your fuzzy (based on your own preference/advice/research) will have to be the deciding factors
 If we didn't live in a locale where they were illegal I would not even consider the rabies because unless some random Rabid Raccoon/Squirrel wanders into my house and opens up their cage their likely hood of getting rabies is about 0%. 

As far as age of vaccination I would wait until after 8 weeks unless they are around a lot of animals or are outside a lot.

The one thing I will say is IF you DO vaccinate, DO NOT LEAVE THE VETS OFFICE for at least 20-30 minutes after the Vaccination. It may take that long to see any type of reaction and the last thing you want is to be driving or on mass transit and your ferret is puking or having convulsions. If there is a reaction at the Vet you are there and the vet can intercede right away. I have also seem a Vet give a small dose of Benadryl before a vaccination just in case.
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:How often? - Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:40 PM
Sorry know this post was old but figured i'd share too.

I vaccinate for rabies because I live in a new area and people that come over (neighbors meeting us, trick or treaters) usually seem quite interested in my ferrets and usually want to give them a pet. None of my three are violent, though one is kind of anti-social. In the event that someone did bite someone I'd rather have a record that they DONT have something then to have my animal put down over a little nip. 

I have had good luck with the rabies vaccine though and have had no side effects /knock on wood.

I do not vaccinate for distemper, my vet advised me that it is so rare right now to do canine distemper is a waste of money. HOWEVER when I get a dog in the future, if my ferrets are still alive (not sure when I'll feel like a dog) I will most likely get them vaccinated for distemper. 
JessLough

• Total Posts : 13
Re:How often? - Saturday, June 27, 2015 11:25 AM
I vaccinate for rabies.  I used to vaccinate for distemper, but the vaccine is no longer available. Or, was backordered indefinately last I checked.

Sure, you can get an exemption for rabies vaccines. If your ferret still bites somebody, they are still going to be either put in quarantine (if you're lucky), or killed, if the person reports the bite.  IMO, unless a ferret has shown a reaction previously, I give the vaccine because the risk of their life is not worth it for me.  Everyone will have a different opinion and have to decide what risks are worth taking.  My ferrets go out alot, so they are around a lot of people.  I'm not willing to take the chance.

Obviously, the above is true for my healthy ferrets.  With health issues, there is more in play.

I've only have someone take a reaction once.  It was my ferret that was later to be found severely immuno compromised (we were unaware of the extent at the time) and to the distemper vaccine.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread