Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nature's Variety Raw?
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Nature's Variety Raw? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:43 PM
I've been looking to introduce Ramsey into Nature's Variety Raw diets... However, it is 95% meat and 5% veggies/fruits. Does anyone else feed this to their ferrets? If so, how are they? Ramsey has been diagnosed with insulinoma, so I'm trying hard to find a reliable raw meat diet besides me buying everything separately/package.

Is the meat quality reliable? Will the 5% not affect my baby?
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:28 PM
I fed this to my raw eaters for about a year, they did very well on it. The fruit and veg content is a concern but not a huge one, it didn't hurt my ferrets at all but I know they don't need it. 5% is considered acceptable but I found myself regularly picking out chunks of carrot that were too big for comfort. The variety of proteins available is pretty sweet, it got my guys used to all sorts of different meats. The reason I switched is price (I found a supplier of highest quality ground meat bone and organ for much cheaper) and to get rid of that 5% of uselessness (my new supplier is 100% meat bone and organ) but I have to do a bit of prep work once a month or so. Nature's Variety also switched their formula while I was using it and I didn't like that, I wanted more control over what I feed my crew. Make sure you avoid the dog formulas as they are way too high in fruit and veg. The new cat formula is very close to what I fed before they changed.
wenmister
Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 3:51 PM
Member in blocked list
Raina415

Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:12 PM
I'm thinking of switching to healthier treats too... What do you guys think of ferrets eating boars? I was looking into Orijen's Regional Red treats. All freeze dried.
wenmister
Raina415

Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:04 PM
I bought Bold's Cat raw diet, beef. It has meat, bones and organs all blended in together with no other fruits or veggies (Woohoo!)

My only concern is how to portion it....... 
It is literally in a tub, frozen and I have heard you shouldn't freeze raw meat that has already been frozen and thawed once. How can I possibly portion this out if I can't refreeze it when I can't even chop it to portions in it's frozen state? Literally 2 pounds of meat in the tub, haha.

Any advice, please? I was planning to thaw it half way (over night in the fridge) and then see if I can portion it up without completely thawing it.
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:35 PM
This might sound weird, if you can get a bone saw, or one of those saws with the thin band blade you might be able to saw out portions, it's really hard to stabilize something that is frozen though unless you wrap it in a towel, that might be more trouble at the end of the day though..... Maybe forget that idea, maybe if you heat a bread knife or run it under hot water like when you cut ice cream cake, you could try that. You would still have to stabilize the giant block. Or you could wrap it in a towel and beat it with a hammer, then you could thaw the  pieces you want , and put what you want to keep back in the freezer in bags... I like the smashing idea, but you might want to do that in a garage or something, but be sure it's wrapped in a towel so you don't lose any shards upon impact... It might be a little ridiculous but that prob what I would do. Forget the knives, they could slip if your not careful. If it is frozen solid though, even smashing it could be a hassle. chisel it maybe? ... I sure hope someone comes up with something better... Ideally thawing it completely , separating it and re freezing would be the obvious choice, but I don't know about re freezing it. 
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Nature's Variety Raw? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:47 PM
i just looked up some things on the internet that are quite interesting regarding the subject. https://food.unl.edu/safety/safe-to-refreeze http://croghanmeatmarket.com/blog/2-can-you-refreeze-your-meat http://www.thekitchn.com/5-foods-you-should-never-refreeze-tips-from-the-kitchn-212039 what i got form all those is basically you can refreeze something that has been thawed in the fridge, if you thaw it at room temperature, which you probably shouldn't do anyways, you definitely shouldn't refreeze it.
<message edited by crisp20 on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 11:49 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message