Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please?
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:07 PM
Just came back from the vet today, and my vet has diagnosed my baby with Insulinoma. A week before, Ramsey's glucose levels were 0.6 when it should have been 3.8-4.0... Insanely low if you ask me. His blood also showed that he had bit of a mild 'mad' liver, but he said it wasn't anything too concerning... Just keep an eye on it. For Rams' vet trip today, they did another glucose blood test and it came as 3.2... Much better than 0.6, but not exactly where it should be. Before we left, my vet prescribed Prednisolone at 0.05 cc twice a day. He thinks Ramsey just began to develop insulinoma, so the dose is very low at the moment, as he plans to put Ramsey on this long term. 

I'm incredibly glad he won't need surgery as it would have been a terrible timing as I'm moving and my hours got cut. I know for ferrets with insulinoma, you have to be incredibly careful with what they eat and require frequent small meals. He is on Performatrin Ultra which my vet said it's doing well for him, but I also feed Wellness Core canned food every now and then. He also gets duck soup (Boil drum sticks, rip the chicken apart, some kibble, little bit of wet food, and blend). It seems to have done him well since his glucose level shot up to 3.2 in a week. I was thinking of introducing Ramsey to Nature's Variety's Raw diets... I heard they're the balanced diet for cats, just blended so it's easier to eat and less stress to make sure all the nutrients are provided. 

Is there anything else I should be careful of, to do and not do do? Am I doing everything right so far? 

Any advice that I could get is great. Ramsey is my baby and I wish I could do the best for him as I can.
unclejoe
Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:18 PM
Member in blocked list
Raina415

Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:14 PM
Thanks unclejoe for responding.

Yes, my vet believes he just began developing Insulinoma, as his weight is okay (fluctuates a little), blood levels were good except for liver (just a tiny bit off, not concerning vet said) and glucose, he's active and has great muscle tone, back legs are fine... I'm extremely grateful I brought him in within the 2 days he lost weight! My vet said 0.05 cc is a very low dosage, so I should focus a lot on his diet more.

What do you mean administer his meds within an hour either way of the right time?? I just planned to give him the pred every 12 hours... AM and PM. As for treats, the only treats he will be getting are the N-bone chew treats... It's his favourite. I threw away the Bandits today... Looked at some more organic treats like Orijen and PureBites. Ramsey won't take any treats besides his N-Bones... *Sigh* so picky. Do you think it'd be beneficial if I started Ramsey on the raw diet though? I'll use dip the syringe in a little bit of ferret tone to help cover up the bitter taste of his medications... Ferret tone shouldn't hurt him, right?

Ramsey will be turning 3 on June 17 of this year, the oldest of the bunch. Are the side effects of pred serious?
<message edited by Raina415 on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:24 PM>
bandit99
Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 10:51 PM
Member in blocked list
Raina415

Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 11:41 PM
I planned to give his medications 30 minutes to an hour after giving his regular duck-soup-like meal that I made. Will this be enough to make sure his tummy won't become upset? My vet only prescribed me to give him 0.05cc twice a day, which apparently is such a low dosage long term side effects shouldn't be much of a concern.

Aww, I sure hope I didn't upset his tummy!
<message edited by Raina415 on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:04 AM>
wenmister
Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 7:39 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Ramsey has Insulinoma... Any Advice, please? - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:23 PM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message