Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Question about Origen and Blue Wilderness
trisotter

• Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Question about Origen and Blue Wilderness - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:28 AM
Hi, I just adopted my new cuties from a nice couple. Rocky and Finley are currently on the prior owners mix of Blue Wilderness Chicken Adult, and Origen Cat&Kitten. I'm not the biggest fan of cat food for ferrets. I used to feed my past ferrets a mix of Wysong Epigen 90 and 8 in 1 Ultimate Crunchy.  

Is the mix their on now ok? Is there a better mix? I'm not a big fan of raw, so I would like to do a mix of dry food. Any thoughts? The last I heard about Wysong is they changed the formula and now it is very dangerous.

Thanks!
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
Re:Question about Origen and Blue Wilderness - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:18 PM
I began my ferrets on commercial ferret food and they all didn't do well, especially Ramsey.

I've been feeding my ferrets cat food for the past almost 3 years and they've all been healthy and good to go. I used to feed them Orijen Cat & Kitten and they all did perfectly fine, except for Ramsey as he has a very sensitive stomach (Never the healthiest baby either). Personally, I LOVE Orijen! More than 6 of the first ingredients are meat and organic. I paid roughly $80 for the largest pack, and I thought it was worth every penny for the quality; high in protein and fat with low carbs. If Ramsey didn't have such a sensitive tummy, I would have stuck with this brand.

I tried Blue Wilderness for my ferrets, but they never really liked it. I have heard great things about this brand though and heard stories of many sick ferrets who became healthy again after being on this diet. Both are quite pricey, but reputable. 

If you're still iffy on cat food and wish to stay on Wysong, the chia seeds is what caused all the upset stomachs and diarrhea. Wysong Ferret Digestive Support is actually their old formula, just under a different name if that is any help! :)
trisotter

• Total Posts : 5
Re:Question about Origen and Blue Wilderness - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:20 PM
Wow Raina, I really appreciate your input. I feel a lot better with their current mix now. The previous owners did seem very knowledgeable about ferrets. I just wanted to be sure myself. So I plan to order these with a subscription soon. Thanks so much!
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
Re:Question about Origen and Blue Wilderness - Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:26 PM
Sure, no problem! I'm glad I could help. You have every right to be concerned with what your fuzzies eat; diet is just so, so important! Having your ferrets used to more than one diet can be good too, as let's say a brand was no longer continued, changed recipe, etc. your ferrets would be accustomed to eating the other diets you mixed in.

I know lots of ferret owners are iffy with feeding ferrets cat food, and that's fair enough. I had a positive experience with cat food and my ferrets have much healthier coats and muscle. Not to mention, I also prefer cat food over ferret food because cats have been around longer as pets than ferrets have, so you have more choices for higher quality, organic brands like Orijen. 

I've never tried Wysong myself but I've heard they're a wonderful brand and diet for ferrets. I was trying to get a hold of some myself, but there is no distributor here. :c Ferret food has suddenly become scarce here too (A little strange), but all the cat foods I have tried, my ferrets did well on! c: They're currently on Performatrin Ultra and all my ferrets do well on it, even Ramsey c: As long as you stay away from low quality brands (Purina, Whiskies, Iams, etc.) and feed them high end kibble (Orijen and Blue Wilderness are definitely up there) you should be alright. I believe Orijen won Kibble of the Year from 2007-2012 but I could be wrong with my numbers :p
<message edited by Raina415 on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:27 PM>

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message