Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Otis concerns
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
  • Reward points : 0
Otis concerns - Monday, April 27, 2015 8:50 PM
when I got Otis, he had a respiratory issue, he would have a wheezing  cough every now and then, the vet recommended moisture to help with the coughing so I would run a hot shower and sit in the bathroom with him so he breathed a bunch of steam in, And it seemed to help, however not stop the coughing completely. Today he started panting as if he was having difficulty taking full breaths, and he is not coughing any more, and the panting is infrequent. The vet said to give him pedipred as a steroid if the steaming didn't help or if it got worse, so today I gave him his first dose, I don't know if he has stopped coughing because of the pedipred, or because the cough has progressed to something worse. His  energy levels are normal, he is pooping, eating, being regular old Otis , showing no sign of being sick whatsoever, besides the panting thing. I am going to steam him again tonight, see if that helps at all, and we have a vet booked for tomorrow morning as well, I'm hoping everything is well, they might have to x Ray or mri or something to look at his lungs. He has always had this problem since we got him in July, the steaming is what helped, but never actually gotten rid of the problem. 
TomHeretic

• Total Posts : 46
Re:Otis concerns - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 1:59 PM
I hope you can find some answers and that Otis feels better soon. I haven't encountered anything like the panting that you described. I have been able to clear up wheezing coughs by adding extra virgin olive oil and/or raw egg to their food. Sadly, it doesn't seem like a hairball issue for Otis but maybe they will help if you haven't tried those yet.
crisp20

Re:Otis concerns - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 2:25 PM
We went to the vet yesterday, and found out his heart is a little be enlarged, it was also a little slow, vet said his heart rate should be 220-240 bpm, it was about 200. They sent his X-rays to a radiologist and we are going to get a call back within 24 hrs here, vet said worst case scenario, it could be heart disease. I'm definitely worried for him. He is normal though, eating, playing at normal levels.
unclejoe
Re:Otis concerns - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:22 PM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

Re:Otis concerns - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 6:04 PM
Thx unclejoe, the vet said there are ways to treat it as well, and nothing is in stone yet, I'm just glad he is acting normal, and not showing any signs of anything besides his breathing. Gotta be strong for the little guys! Thx for the encouragement. 
Raina415

• Total Posts : 20
Re:Otis concerns - Wednesday, April 29, 2015 10:54 PM
Sending my wishes to you and Otis! Wish you two the best... I hope that little man is alright.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread