Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 I need help regarding snow.
pepsop

• Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points : 0
I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, April 18, 2015 3:52 PM
I recently bought two ferrets, one turned out to be a boy and by the look of his teeth, much older than 2. I came home today to find diarrhea all over the cage, very mucusy and runny from him. He was okay the past two days walking around and his poops were fine. Now he's all curled up in the sack not doing much but sleeping and pooping. I can't get out to the vets until Tuesday and I'm extremely worried for him.
I've blocked off half the cage so the other 3 don't pester him and sleep on him. Given him plenty of water both bowl and bottle, food and fresh litter. Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm very worried for him and my husband as they have grown very fond of each other over the course of 4 days.
wenmister
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, April 18, 2015 5:44 PM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:58 PM
He always stays in sight, so he hasn't eaten anything nasty. He isn't drinking or eating and is rather lethargic and is much thinner than he was yeaterday so we just went and bought a syringe and some meat based baby food with no veggies and had to force feed him. I feel so bad about doing it but its the only way we can get anything in him.
unclejoe
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:34 PM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, April 18, 2015 10:19 PM
No we're all fine. If he's had any of the food I previously used it would have been little and a few days ago, other than that its the food he came with.
It seems like he has proliferative bowel disease he has all of the signs and symptoms, nothing else I've read is what he's showing. He refuses to drink and eat anything we try to give him he just shoves it away even if we scruff him. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
bandit99
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 20, 2015 6:34 AM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 20, 2015 1:27 PM
Instead of baby food sice he's denying it I mixed his original food with water so it formed into a paste and he's been eating that, he's now eating and drinking with only a little bit of assistance and improving. His stools are solidifying which I am very pleased to see and he came out for a bit of a run around with the others so his energy is improving drastically. He won't eat much so I've been making sure he eats the paste from either my finger or a spoon every hour. He's very wobbly when he walks, he was only a little wobbly when I first got him but I'm hoping with more food and water that should improve. 
I'm struggling to find a vet that will take him as he's not been there before so it's just us for now and with the way he's improving I'm hoping I won't have to make a 5+ hour drive to a vet as that would probably stress him out much more and possibly make him worse. 

Thank you for all of your help and concern its very much appreciated. I will give you more updates as is condition changes.
unclejoe
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 20, 2015 5:10 PM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Sunday, April 26, 2015 4:06 PM
Snow is improving very well. He lost quite a bit of weight in the process but we're starting to see our man perk up a lot. He doesn't sleep as much anymore and has a lot more energy. He is now drinking without any aid and is now starting to eat on his own, still on watered down food but we just leave it to soak in his food bowl now and only syringe feed him twice a day. His stools have gone back to normal and is slowly gaining weight which is lovely to see. Thank you for all of your advice and concern, it is very much appreciated. I will post some photos tomorrow of him in his favorite sleeping spot... My scarf 😂

Much love from snow and his hoomans. 🐾👫
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:15 PM
That's great news! Awesome to hear he is doing better.
unclejoe
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Sunday, April 26, 2015 8:19 PM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 27, 2015 3:14 PM
It was put down to stress from new surroundings and old age.
Since he's older his teeth are more sensitive and he can't eat the hard kibble we have, he will however scoff down the soft treats we have so if you know of any soft kibble could you please let me know? The paste is doing okay for now but he doesn't eat much of it so syringe feeding him is a must but it puts him under a lot of stress so I'd love to try any softer kibble. 
Attached Image(s)
doobie dink

• Total Posts : 10
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 27, 2015 7:05 PM
Glad he is getting better. There is a product by 8in1 called something like 'soft moist'. I haven't studied the nutrition part of it because I use it as a treat. It comes in a reasonable small package.
unclejoe
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Monday, April 27, 2015 8:45 PM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, May 02, 2015 1:22 AM
We bought some natures variety due to it having high reccomendations. We added small amounts to their regular food and snow ate it willingly. He's now eating as much as the others and is putting on some much needed weight. We're also giving him ferretvite for the calories that he needs.
Its so nice to see such an improment to what seemed like a few days ago where he was too sick to stand. I'm so pleased with him and that he is finally settling into his forever home. 
wenmister
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, May 02, 2015 7:15 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, May 02, 2015 8:03 AM
Member in blocked list
pepsop

Re:I need help regarding snow. - Saturday, May 02, 2015 8:56 PM
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely try the soup! 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread