Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is it insulinoma??
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 41
dobiqueenx1

• Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 20, 2015 11:10 AM
bandit99

I'm so very happy to hear she is improving. I know how exhausting it is when they are sick and you have to feed them so often. You are a good mommy. It sounds like she is on the road to getting back to being a ferret again. It's amazing how low they can get and still bounce back. I'm  praying for continued good updates.

Oh, can I ask everyone a couple quick questions on this subject....?  #1 does anyone know where I can get some syringes with just a slightly bigger hole at the end so as I get her to thicker and thicker food, it doesn't get stuck then shoot all over the place (lol). I've tried our local pet store, my vets and Fleet Farm by the farm animal items and still unable to find one.  #2, what are some alternatives to high protein foods I can give her? Since her appetite has increased, it's going to cost me a small fortune with the meat baby food I've been giving her, which she's eating and likes, and works great in the syringe, but yeah, not so cheap....thanks again everyone for your help....
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 20, 2015 11:26 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, March 20, 2015 1:04 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:53 PM
Just got back from the vet as they wanted to recheck her BG....originally it was so low it didn't even register....she was now up to I believe she said 54 which is still low but better....she'd like to see her in the 80's.....she's going to check into adding that other medication and will call me with the cost.... I think it may be diazoxide....I've heard this is very expensive and I'm afraid when she calls me with the price....that I won't be able to afford it!! She said she cannot increase the pred anymore as she's at the highest dose of 0.25ml....and she has also plateaued and won't improve any further without it!! I don't know what to do....I want her better but what if I cannot afford it??
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:20 PM
Oh thank goodness....the vets office just called and it's not as bad as the internet made it seem....it'll be $36 for a 180 dose supply and we can take her pred back down to 0.1ml once we start her on the other meds....this is great news.....I was reading a cost of about $130/mo. Oh and just an FYI....I did find the same syringes you mentioned here uncle joke and I'd actually gotten the on Drs Foster and Smith for $4.99 each.....now....the vet also mentioned switching her food to a higher protein one....she's been on des foster and smith signature series premium ferret food her whole life but it's only 38% protein (I thought it was higher) .... I did find on there site one called Wysong Ferret Epigen 90 which has 90% meat content and is 62% protein which is the highest I've found.....do any of you know of any even higher in protein??
<message edited by dobiqueenx1 on Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:29 PM>
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:04 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:11 PM
What types of soups? Duck soup? Yes  and she has been getting that and also baby food meet.....I've also been mixing a bit of duck soup in with ground turkey but thought she should probably also get some dry in her diet??
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:28 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Monday, April 06, 2015 10:48 PM
Update...well...she's been on the additional med for nearly a week and no further improvements....they took her pred. Down to .1 from .25 when we added this New med and it seemed to me that her back legs got weaker....a few day ago I increased her pred then to .15 and the other med she's at .3....I may increase her pred to .2 tomorrow and see if any more of an improvement....she still won't eat on her own except to lick up a bit off a plate which isn't enough to sustain her....so we have to keep syringe feeding her....I'm so very exhaustedfrom lack of sleep and trying to work a full time job and care for her and everything with home life....I don't know how much longer I can do this....I'm also now experiencing quite a bit of pain in my right hand from the syringe feedings where my hand cramps up and I even have gotten a couple blisters....do you think I'm fighting a loosing battle??
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 1:09 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 9:34 AM
bandit99

She definately has a twinkle in here eyes yet....I think I'm just frustrated at how quickly she went from acting normal to having to syringe feeding her. I did increase the pred back up to .2 yesterday and if still not improvement I'll go back up again to where she was before adding the other med which was .25. I think my vet was just hoping we could drop the pred to give us room to move down the road if necessary.  She is using her litter box pretty much all the time now when she's in her cage anyways, so the last thing is just getting her to hopefully eat and drink on her own...I hope and pray she will and soon....I don't believe she's drinking either so a good thing we're feeding her watered down food so she gets liquids that way at least. She's put on some weight now too which is good as before her ribs stuck out somewhat....she constantly is doing this little grinding thing with her teeth too which makes it a bit harder to feed her....but I do believe her sight is back as well as she appears to look at us when in her playpen, etc...I'm just getting burnt out but cannot see giving up on her at this time since she's doing well with everything BUT eating on her own...
I didn't think when they added the other med they decreased the pred. I always thought it stayed the same. You will know when it's time to let her go. They lose the spark in their eyes and they refuse to eat no matter how hard you try. I hope she still will turn around. Sometimes it looks hopeless and all of a sudden they are better.

bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:08 AM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 11:08 AM
bandit99

Grinding their teeth usually means pain. I wonder if she could have an ulcer. I think they use carfate for that. Do you give her anything so the pred doesn't bother her tummy. Can't remember if I mentioned using PepcidAC or not. My tablet is being slow today and I tried to look through the posts. I may have mentioned it in a pm. I buy 10mg PepcidAC. I crush 2 1/2 pills. I put it in a baby food jar and add 10cc's of water and mix. It lasts a while in the frig.  I give 0.15ml  with a 1ml syringe. Thats half way between 0.1ml  and 0.2ml. Some give it a few minutes before the pred. 

Hmmm, strange as she's been doing this off and on since the beginning....I normally make sure she has food in her tummy before giving her the pred so her tummy isn't empty when giving it then...I'll mention it to the vet when I see them next. I take our dog in this Friday for his annual, so I can ask then...she goes back in next Friday to recheck her BG...thanks for the information here though...quite helpful...I will pick some up when I go do the grocery shopping tomorrow night...won't hurt to try...this poor girl though...she's a walking pharmacy kinda like me now...lol
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 3:06 PM
dobiqueenx1

Oh, I forgot to ask...do you give this dose just once per day or how often?? Thanks
bandit99

Grinding their teeth usually means pain. I wonder if she could have an ulcer. I think they use carfate for that. Do you give her anything so the pred doesn't bother her tummy. Can't remember if I mentioned using PepcidAC or not. My tablet is being slow today and I tried to look through the posts. I may have mentioned it in a pm. I buy 10mg PepcidAC. I crush 2 1/2 pills. I put it in a baby food jar and add 10cc's of water and mix. It lasts a while in the frig.  I give 0.15ml  with a 1ml syringe. Thats half way between 0.1ml  and 0.2ml. Some give it a few minutes before the pred. 

Hmmm, strange as she's been doing this off and on since the beginning....I normally make sure she has food in her tummy before giving her the pred so her tummy isn't empty when giving it then...I'll mention it to the vet when I see them next. I take our dog in this Friday for his annual, so I can ask then...she goes back in next Friday to recheck her BG...thanks for the information here though...quite helpful...I will pick some up when I go do the grocery shopping tomorrow night...won't hurt to try...this poor girl though...she's a walking pharmacy kinda like me now...lol

wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 6:49 PM
We give Pred to Pirate for Lymphoma but our vet prescribed 1ml 2X a day after reading your post and replies I have to verify this amount. She also suggested Pepto to coat the tummy .25ml of pepto We know how you feel about the battle, we are going through a similar one now. Wish you and fuzzy all the best
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Wednesday, April 08, 2015 10:37 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, April 17, 2015 2:34 PM
Got some great news today.... Hope's BG was up to 89 when tested again today!!! She was at 54 a little over 2 weeks ago when the very added dizoxide was added.... She would like for me to try and reduce the Pred some and see how she does not that she's been on the dioxide for a bit so if she crashes again we have somewhere to go with her meds because right now we can't raise it up much as she's on. 20pred right now.... She said to wait a week and try again.... Even her very said she's feeling better because she fistier than what she had been.... She's acting near normal but still getting the bulk of her meals via syringe but is using her litter box now and we put her hammock back up in her cage and she used it once in a while.... Today is a good day to smile!!!
unclejoe
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, April 17, 2015 6:36 PM
Member in blocked list
dobiqueenx1

Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Friday, April 17, 2015 10:05 PM
For sure.... This whole time but she hasn't touched it but it is there if she wants it
bandit99
Re:Is it insulinoma?? - Monday, April 20, 2015 6:38 AM
Member in blocked list
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 41

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages