Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Need Help with aggressive female! :(
EmmetandEmma2

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Monday, April 13, 2015 10:09 PM
I earlier posted about my ferrets pooping habits and mentioned my female Emma has been biting more frequent. When I was on vaca the last couple days before I returned they weren't let out or had a clean cage (I was highly upset) now it's been a week and they've been free roam most of the time and daily sparkly clean cage... Emma is still biting to the point where I have to wear shows or I have to distract to pick her up. She acts like she's on crack more hyper than I've ever seen her she doesn't take to scruffing it makes it worse, water doesn't help, and a good no makes no difference. I'm fed up with it! Tonight she scratched  my 3 year olds face and knee where he was bleeding for 10 min. (It happened fast I was right there) along with biting my 1 year olds finger and wouldn't let go! She was never like this I don't want to get rid of her I'm in a house of all male pets! :( I don't leave site of them or leave them with my children these events happened while I was there but she's so fast that I can't even catch her half the time to scold her! She is much more hyper than my male she moves the cage around flips liter boxes and terrorizes everyone in a mean way! I know they play bite but she's not playing  when she's piercing skin! Someone help!!!! 
crisp20

• Total Posts : 216
Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Monday, April 13, 2015 10:41 PM
Is she getting enough play time outside the cage? I think 3-4 hours MINIMUM daily is good start to getting rid of excess energy, a dig box might help too. If she is getting enough play time though, I'm not sure what I can tell you.
crisp20

Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Monday, April 13, 2015 10:48 PM
I read your other post, how where your ferrets behaving before you went on vacation? If there was a complete turnaround in behaviour, I'm sorry to say it, but something must've happened with your sitter, I hate to say neglect or abuse, but that could be your case. I would think An abused ferret might lash out violently unexpectedly. Could you see your sitter doing something like this? 
EmmetandEmma2

Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:07 AM
They get lots of free time for the most part if I'm at work I cage them but it's possible she abused them she didn't like that they bite but I stressed not to hit so something must have traumatized her I guess! She was very moveable and cuddled all the time she play nibbled so this is def something new! How do you make a dig box with just dirt? 
EmmetandEmma2

Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Tuesday, April 14, 2015 8:10 AM
I want to keep them in one room since the biting is bad and block the enterance with a gate. Is that a bad idea? It's ferret proofed 
unclejoe
Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Tuesday, April 14, 2015 5:32 PM
Member in blocked list
crisp20

Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:25 PM
Hahaha yeah I was going to post a link to a previous post i posted on wether to use dirt or NON INSTANT dry rice. there is some pretty good input on the subject, in the Ferret Fun forum. " dig box question"
<message edited by crisp20 on Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:50 PM>
EmmetandEmma2

Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Wednesday, April 15, 2015 2:52 PM
Awesome I'll give it a look! I did force Emma to cuddle me for a whole 20 min! She's doing better now I can actually pick her up! And I bought feline pine they seem to like that and have only messed outside of their litter a couple times a day! I also did the one story and covered all the corners it worked like a charm! They knew how to move my baby gate  so I just close the door and keep their cage open they're out until I sleep! Thanks for everyone's  help it's much appreciated slow progress with the biting but I can see a turn around in the future! :) 
leeandparker

• Total Posts : 70
Re:Need Help with aggressive female! :( - Monday, April 27, 2015 3:25 PM
I go through a lot of biters and in my experience a time out cage works best. As soon as there's a bite just plop the ferret in the time out cage for a minute and then let him or her out again to play. The key is to do it in the same instant as the bite, so they can usually figure out what it is they did wrong. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread