Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ferrets pooping and behavior
EmmetandEmma2

• Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
Ferrets pooping and behavior - Thursday, April 09, 2015 11:35 AM
I have 2 ferrets. I'm a new ferret owner and I have had them for a couple months now. I recently went on vacation and had a house sitter. They won't poop in their litter box they sleep in it and only poop on the cage floor! I've been trying to re train them but idk what steps to take because nothing is working. I also clean their cage out 3 or mor times a day so it's always clean! Any help!? p.s. My female since I've been back has been very aggressive with her biting and won't even let me love her and it's unusual! The sitter was here daily and they we're let out for play time... Hmm
Seelen

• Total Posts : 193
Re:Ferrets pooping and behavior - Thursday, April 09, 2015 3:07 PM
I'd ask the sitter if anything happened as they're acting weird now.

Maybe leave a poop or two in the box.  
EmmetandEmma2

Re:Ferrets pooping and behavior - Thursday, April 09, 2015 5:34 PM
Thank you I'll try that. 
wacferret

• Total Posts : 92
Re:Ferrets pooping and behavior - Thursday, April 09, 2015 7:13 PM
Limit cage space for now. If you have a multilevel cage restrict them to only 1 level and put everything on that level (take out all ramps, shelves, close off top/bottom section). The idea is that they tend NOT to poop where they eat/sleep so if the only other place to poop is the litter box... They 'should' start to use it. This is not 100% but works for most (2 out of 3 for us). Leave a piece of poop in the litter and/or some litter w/urine on it and cover every other floor space with bedding (towels, shirts, blankets, sleep sacks, whatever you use for their bedding)Most of use use some form of fabric bedding rather than wood shavings and such, some fuzzies have a hard time differentiating shavings from litter and will use both as a potty. Put food and water bowls in all the corners they tend to poop in (heck put extra if you need to take up more corner space) If you see one use the litter box reward it with a treat (ferret-tone, we use the raw bites for cats/dogs from Natures Instinct) Some ferrets are picky about their potty too, some will use the corner litter box (Pirate was trained with it and uses it 100% of the time in the cage) others will not poop in a triangle box for some reason, they need a square or rectangle. Other ferrets are picky poopers and will only poop 1 or 2 times in a box and then won't use it again so they need constant scooping. Once you see they are getting it you can start to open up the cage more We have 3 carpet sharks; Pirate is 100% potty trained and has only ever had an accident when he wasn't feeling well. Morgan is good inside the cage 85%-95%, not as good outside 60%-70%. Captain is the exception, we have 3 boxes in their cage (2 rectangle on bottom level, 1 corner on top level) he will use each one once maybe twice and then will poop wherever he is at the moment. BUT Captain and Morgan were both rescues we got them when they were at least 3 years old or older, Pirate was only 6 weeks when we got him (so training a kit was easier as there were NO bad habits to overcome). Captain and Morgan were adopted out of a disgusting cage with NO litter box only shavings on the floor, and poop EVERYWHERE (ramps, shelves, in food bowls NASTY!!! one of the reasons we felt we had to save them) In the beginning Morgan was as bad as Captain, she just poop wherever she was now as I mentioned she is 85%-95% in the cage. good luck
EmmetandEmma2

Re:Ferrets pooping and behavior - Monday, April 13, 2015 9:54 PM
I am a bit troubled with the blankets and etc. my male ate bedding and fortunately we were at the vet and he threw it all up ever since I'm very hesitant about putting much in there I do use old cloth baby diapers they are super thick and hard to chew through (only cloth) I will definitely have to try the one level cage! I have two boxes they're the triangle ones called long johns to where their whole body fits my males full grown I'm pretty sure. When I returned home their cage was disgusting I was very disappointed it looked like they were in their poop for a couple days (we had a problem with the sitter towards the end reason why she wasn't around the last 2 days of vaca)  they move EVERYTHING their litter and water dishes! My male ferret has some bad poop going on currently I think a possible blockage (I purchased ferret lax) so when there is poop it's just bad. Thank you for the info! I was using paper pellets and since I ran out I used recycled paper bedding it was too messy so I'm going to go back to the pellets. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread