Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Are black noses rare?
seeleyanne

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 11:43 AM
I have been looking into getting a ferret (and I know it shouldn't really matter), but I'm kinda picky about what color I would want to get. I've seen a few pictures on instagram of beautiful ferrets with really dark black noses. If you guys follow any youtube accounts, "joeythetrainedferret" is a BEAUTIFUL black nosed ferret too. I just absolutely love ferrets with super dark noses, but I have never seen one in a pet store. 

So my 2 questions are.... Are ferrets with black noses rare? And has your ferret's nose gotten darker or lighter as he/she has gotten older? I am wondering if ferrets who start out with slightly black noses get more black over time. 

Like I said, all ferrets are cute and loving with awesome personalities, so it's not that important, I just really like the look of the super dark noses! I am going to include a picture of a beautiful ferret I found on instagram so you can see what I'm talking about.

seeleyanne

Re:Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 11:55 AM
I am looking on the AFA color chart, and I think what I am looking for is the color called "Black". On Marshall farm's website, they don't list black as one of their colors available. That's probably why I've never seen one in a pet store. So I guess I'd need to look into getting one from a breeder? I'm in Utah, and I can't find any Utah breeders online. Do people ship ferrets? Sorry I'm new to this. I've wanted to get a ferret for years, and have been researching A LOT about them, but I am just now starting to research colors.

http://www.ferret.org/events/colors/colorchart.html

raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 3:41 PM
I have one very dark ferret Priscilla that has a black nose and also the fur is very dark on her looks black she is 6 years old and has never had a color change. My other really dark ferrets 'have some black on their noses which I think is really cute too. I have had a couple of ferrets over the years that had a total black nose and dark fur coat and they never changed colors. The majority of my ferrets are Marshall's I have had a pathways ferret too in the past but it was a normal sable. So yes Marshall's does end up with them in their litters. Priscilla's face is actually even darker than the one in your picture very little white on it.
<message edited by raml on Monday, March 02, 2015 10:03 AM>
unclejoe
Re:Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 8:20 PM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 9:03 PM
Member in blocked list
raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Are black noses rare? - Sunday, March 01, 2015 10:22 PM
Wow Mogli looks like my Priscilla I should get out my camera and take more pictures than I do. She is just a smidge darker around the mouth than your Mogli. I got her due to her not leaving me alone when I played with the ferrets at the store I wasn't planning on getting her but she made me do it and then I also got Elvis to go with her since he also was just begging to get out of the store. Elvis got juvenile lymphoma and didn't make it to his 2nd birthday but Priscilla has been very healthy and is oh so cute with her black nose and is going strong at 6yrs old.
Krazykritterz

• Total Posts : 7
Re:Are black noses rare? - Monday, March 02, 2015 9:28 AM
Marshalls carriers ferrets that color but pwtco only gets what they ship. They cannot request specific colors. My male is dark like that but eventually he lost most of his dark face. Marshalls ferret colors are way more then shown of the charts they have those are the more general colors. He is a Black Sable or some call it Dark Sable. 
seeleyanne

Re:Are black noses rare? - Wednesday, March 04, 2015 8:15 PM
Thanks everyone! That's really good to know. I'm a little bummed that there are NO breeders in my state. But I'm glad to know that Marshalls does breed more colors than listed on their website. Thanks a ton!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread