Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hello everyone
janna333

• Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
Hello everyone - Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:33 AM
Hi,
My name is Janna, and I thought I had an old account here but I couldn't remember the password and it had been years so I figured I would start fresh and reintroduce myself.

I now have four ferrets, (who I affectionately refer to as "butts", because well, they're a bunch of little butts!) having succumed to the dread ferret mathematics a couple of days ago and added little baby Cole to the family. Well, we were planning on it, really - my fiance used getting another ferret as a motivator for helping me find a new job. Within a week of the challenge being set I was employed.

In addition to the new baby, we have the old baby, Geraldine, who is now two. She is only just now starting to calm down the tiniest of bits, she has so much energy. We also have Kira, the eldest and first ferret, who is six. She has shown since we brought Cole home that she can still keep up, because when they play she totally kicks his butt. She's a fierce, petite little thing with a bad habit of eating things she's nir supposed to. It's because of her we can't have fleece hammocks - she *will* eat fleece in the cage. She chews up the nice beds I've tried giving her. So, most of their hammocks are in tatters and I am loathe to spend money on things that are guaranteed to be destroyed.

Last, but certainly not least, is Dukat. My poor five year old guy suffers from insulinoma and adrenal. The adrenal has been treatment resistant, too - the lupron shots do nothing for him. Right now we are trying a melatonin implant, and so far in the week he's had it I think he's put on a tiny bit of weight and maybe he's a little fuzzier, but so far not much difference. He's almost completely bald. He's the sweetest guy though, I love him so much and just want him to feel better :(

My business all receives a raw diet, which I highly recommend if you're able. Here in Minneapolis, we have a local place called Woody's Pet Deli that sells whole ground raw meats for pets (intended for dogs and cats, but they know me as the ferret gal, hehe). It's so easy, and cheaper than other commercial raw diets. I honestly think the raw diet has helped keep Dukat's insulinoma under control - he's had it a year and he's still on just a low dose of pred. Plus, they poop so much less! But they pee more because they're better hydrated, so there's that.

Anyway, thats enough for now. Thanks, see you around!

unclejoe
Re:Hello everyone - Sunday, February 22, 2015 12:42 PM
Member in blocked list
janna333

Re:Hello everyone - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 8:45 AM
Hi :) I'm sorry to hear your ferret has gone through the same thing, but part of me is comforted to know that mine isn't the only one resistant to treatment. We are not alone! :) Dukat seems to be doing a little better on the ferretonin implant, but it's too soon to call it a succcess or not. If I think it's truly helping, I'll let you know and maybe Jaffa can try it. So far, Dukat appears to be growing a little fur back around his legs and I think he's gained weight but I need to weigh him. Will maybe do that today.

Thanks again for the greetings :D
unclejoe
Re:Hello everyone - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:37 PM
Member in blocked list
janna333

Re:Hello everyone - Thursday, February 26, 2015 12:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere that des was back in stock. I could be wrong, and it's entirely possible that whatever was in stock was already sold by now, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

How did the melatonin implants work for you? So far, Dukat has a very small bit of hair regrowth, but it's not as much as I'd like to see. I'm not seeing anything coming in on his back, just on his belly and his legs. It's been almost two weeks now.
unclejoe
Re:Hello everyone - Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:29 PM
Member in blocked list
janna333

Re:Hello everyone - Tuesday, March 03, 2015 8:52 AM
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear about Moe :( 

Yeah, I'm not seeing the results I was hoping for with the ferretonin implant from Dukat, either. I just don't know what else to do. I suppose we can wait and try the des implant. It's very frustrating. I hate seeing how slow he's gotten, too. Pretty much all he wants to do is nap in "my" chair (it was supposed to be my desk chair, but the ferrets spend far more time in it than I do). We've started calling him the "chairman" of the business, hehe. He does get up into the chair all by himself, though, and now with the additon of our new baby butt Cole he's been forced to play a little bit, although I supervise to make sure Cole isn't too rough with him. He's gotta show that young whippersnapper how things work around here, you know? :)

Just wish there was more I could do for him... 
unclejoe
Re:Hello everyone - Tuesday, March 03, 2015 9:42 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages