Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Critter Nation Cage accessories
Cuthahotha

• Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
Critter Nation Cage accessories - Sunday, February 22, 2015 12:08 PM
For lots of reasons I need to house my fuzzys in a cage while I'm not home.  I picked up a Critter Nation Cage at my local big box pet shop.

Several questions regarding the best way to outfit it.

I have 2 hammocks and a sleep pouch.  A few small toys.  

Flooring - The trays do a good job of protecting the feet, but I think I need something better on the floor.  I know the pet shop used a paper.   I saw a recommendation for reptile carpet.  It's really easy to just rinse out.  I am concerned it might get caught in toenails.  

Bare floor would be easier to keep clean and sanitary.  Thoughts?

Water and Food. I put a gravity feed cage attached food thing provider.  Food everywhere within minutes.  

Also added a water bottle/tube.  The big one I purchased leaked so i put the two small ones i bought for the trip home in for the night.  They use it.   Before I go replace the big one, do you guys like heavy crockery bowels  or water bottles/food dispensers?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve
unclejoe
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Sunday, February 22, 2015 1:10 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 6:39 AM
Member in blocked list
Cuthahotha

Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 8:52 AM
Thanks all.

So that's the difference between FN and CN Cages.  One of my furbutts (Roses/Nip, still haven't figured out the names yet) uses the horizontal bars to climb up the from one platform to another.  The other (Guns/Tuck) is a nice behaved lady and uses the ramps.

I got the litter box anchored better, but ya, they haven't figured out that yet.  50% of the time they hit the box. The take turns going 2" to one side or the other.  (eg in the "corner" made by the box and the cage.) I keep dumping the droppings into the box to give them the idea.  It's only been a full day so far.  I think the box may be too small.  

I started switching to bowls.  I'll find good heavy ones tonight after work.

Thanks,
Steve
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 11:14 AM
Member in blocked list
Cuthahotha

Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 12:39 PM
THANKS!

I was going to put litter box, food/water and sleeping arrangements all on one floor to night. I wasn't going to limit them to a single floor, but that makes a lot of sense.   

The litter box i have is a high back corner one.  It's pretty small.  I'm going to go find a bigger one.

For temporary blankets, is micro fiber ok?  Is there any issue with getting toenails stuck?  I have access to dozens of micro fiber towels.  If the micro fiber is ok, I could cover the floor with them loose, or drag the wife's sewing machine out and sew up a few into a cover all for the floor.

I could just go hit the local fabric store and buy a couple of yards of material and some elastic string and make some temporary covers for the trays, for a couple of bucks each.

wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 1:00 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 1:03 PM
Member in blocked list
Cuthahotha

Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 3:11 PM
wenmister
I don't use the ladders or shelves in my FN cage.  I have it setup so that they have to climb into their hammocks.

I'm not sure I understand.  My CN cage is the double level with the one full width and one half width shelf for each level.  

One carpet shark already uses the side of the cage to climb up from full width to half width shelf.   But they both use the ramp that leads from first level to the second level. 

If you don't use ladders or shelves, then I assume that the cage just has the bottom tray on it?  Is it just the single level?

Wife found a bigger high back corner pan at petco.  I'll go look and see if it's bigger enough.
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 4:17 PM
Member in blocked list
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 4:21 PM
Member in blocked list
Cuthahotha

Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 4:31 PM
Thanks for the pic.  That helps.

2 questions.  Which gets watched more, the critters or the TV?  What's that corregated tube.  I think I know what it's for, but where did it come from?

Thanks,
Steve
wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Monday, February 23, 2015 7:40 PM
Member in blocked list
Cuthahotha

Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Friday, February 27, 2015 8:54 AM
Thanks for the links.  

I did as recommended with the shelves/bedding/toys, and they have not had an accident since.  It worked so well, they even hold it while running the living room, and use the litter box as soon as I put them back in.  GREAT SUGGESTION, THANKS!!

I'm about to open up one of the 1/2 shelves.  Probably take the hammock/hanging bedroom and put it above the half shelf, put in the ramp. Keep food/toys/Litter on the full sized shelf.

When I get all 4 shelves 2 X full and 2 X 1/2 back in play, would you recommend sticking with one litter box, or put 2, one on each full shelf?  Or will just filling the floor on all the shelves with bedding, toys, do the trick.

wenmister
Re:Critter Nation Cage accessories - Friday, February 27, 2015 9:36 AM
Member in blocked list

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages