Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Fever and Lethargic
Kris_Ferrets

• Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Fever and Lethargic - Sunday, January 25, 2015 3:13 AM
Our youngest, Maximus, is sick and miserable. He is very lethargic, only getting up to use the litter box and eat a little bit, then just lays there in front of the food bowl. He gets little brown crusties in the front corner of his eyes, ocassionally does this really soft sneezing, and his nose is bone dry. I've started syringe feeding and watering him. I took his temp about 15min ago and it read 104.6 OBVIOUSLY we are getting him into the vet ASAP, but is there a way to bring down his fever in the mean time? 104.6 seems pretty high :/ my first-aid kit say normal temps are between 101-103.
wenmister
Re:Fever and Lethargic - Sunday, January 25, 2015 6:27 AM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Fever and Lethargic - Monday, January 26, 2015 8:49 PM
Update: Got him into the vet this morning as soon as they opened. Ended up having to leave him there :( Vet suspects possible DIM (Disseminated Idiopathic Myositis) based on all the symptoms he's exhibiting . They took a blood test and I believe muscle biopsy and sent it in for testing, and should have the results tomorrow morning. Vet said she put him on antibiotics and steroids, and told me he has perked up a little since. I'm HOPING that it's just something as treatable as an infection, but I can't rule out the possibility of a terminal disease. I will update again as soon as I get word on the test results.
unclejoe
Re:Fever and Lethargic - Monday, January 26, 2015 10:38 PM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Fever and Lethargic - Monday, January 26, 2015 11:36 PM
I hope so too. All his symptoms point to DIM though, which worries me. Lethargic and weak, loss of appetite, reluctance to move around, fluctuating fever, high white blood cell count, dehydrated, and he's under 18months old... I'm just so worried :( He's too young to be having such issues.
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Fever and Lethargic - Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:35 PM
Update: Back from the vet with our little guy. Vet is fairly comfortable with her diagnosis of possible DIM, so we are beginning treatment of Chemotherapy once every 2 weeks, steroids (pred) twice a day and fluids under the skin every other day. He has a 50/50 chance right now. Could go one way or the other :( Really hoping he pulls through. He's too young to be going through so much.
unclejoe
Re:Fever and Lethargic - Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:24 PM
Member in blocked list
Kris_Ferrets

Re:Fever and Lethargic - Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:06 PM
Nope, no one knows exactly what causes it yet :/ DIM is still not very well known about. Figures one of ours ends up having it Thankfully they don't believe it's contagious, and I only have to keep him separated from the others for about 72 hours after each treatment because of radiation exposure.
Stacey_B

• Total Posts : 2
Re:Fever and Lethargic - Thursday, August 13, 2015 5:04 PM
I'm wondering how your little guy with DIM is doing. My youngest was just diagnosed today and we're trying to decide what's best for him. The mortality rate is extremely high and I hear the medication that's supposed to help is pretty nasty stuff. I hate to see him suffer so much. I'd really appreciate any words of wisdom from someone who has been through this.

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread