Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ear cleaning
Thor and Loki

• Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
Ear cleaning - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:51 AM
I would like to know what kinds of ear solutions (that are mild) some of you use for your ferrets. (Soon to be ferret owner) 
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Ear cleaning - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:09 PM
you don't need it - i bought it when I was a new ferret owner and it was a mess, it stunk and you had to be very careful not to get it in their eyes

now I just use warm water and a qtip - I get the water close to their body temp so it's not jarring - I dip it in the water and fling off the excess - 

be VERY careful cleaning their ears and do NOT push the qtip into their ear canal.  Only clean out the wax that it's the folds of their ears.
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
wenmister
Re:Ear cleaning - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:11 PM
Member in blocked list
brendan

• Total Posts : 47
Re:Ear cleaning - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:42 PM
There is a lot of methods to cleaning your ferrets teeth, but you'll realize that trying to actually brush their teeth is very difficult, so I recommend getting a tasteless mixture to put in your ferrets water that will kill the bacteria in their teeth, and also give them their vitamins/ minerals they need to be healthy.
[font="'courier new'; line-height: 1.4"]I hope the following information I supplied helps you in anyway possible..
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Ear cleaning - Wednesday, November 26, 2014 10:50 AM
i swear i replied to this yesterday and it's been deleted - maybe because I said not to buy anything and this is the site of a retailer but you don't need to buy any products to clean their ears. . . it's messy, it smells, you have to be careful not to get it in their eyes etc and it's useless.  I bought it when i first got ferrets and didn't know better - now I use warm water - try to get it near their body temp so that it's not jarring when you put the qtip to their ear....NEVER push the qtip into their ear and just clean the wax from the folds of their ear.

I hold the qtip flat against their ear and roll it between my fingers and then flip it around to use the dry side to dry out their ears. 
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
wenmister
Re:Ear cleaning - Wednesday, November 26, 2014 1:31 PM
Member in blocked list
Melie

• Total Posts : 44
Re:Ear cleaning - Sunday, November 30, 2014 10:30 PM
ordinarygirl

i swear i replied to this yesterday and it's been deleted - maybe because I said not to buy anything and this is the site of a retailer but you don't need to buy any products to clean their ears. . . it's messy, it smells, you have to be careful not to get it in their eyes etc and it's useless.  I bought it when i first got ferrets and didn't know better - now I use warm water - try to get it near their body temp so that it's not jarring when you put the qtip to their ear....NEVER push the qtip into their ear and just clean the wax from the folds of their ear.

I hold the qtip flat against their ear and roll it between my fingers and then flip it around to use the dry side to dry out their ears. 

They're right about the qtip- you only go as far as your pinky finger would let you. Do not push any further. 
As for the water, you might want to be careful not to get it dripping in their ears. Getting water in their ears can cause an ear infection (I think it was an accident when I bathed him last) - I was just dealing with an issue similar to that a month ago. The vet put my guy on medicated ear drops and cleaned them right up.

As for ear drop solutions, I was told as long as it does not have an alcohol base to it, it should be okay. 

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread