Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sore near groin on ferret (picture included)
PoutineWolf

• Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Sore near groin on ferret (picture included) - Monday, November 10, 2014 3:28 PM
I just got back from an 11 day vacation and noticed a sore on Bentei's stomach. Bentlei is about 4 years old and fully vaccinated. I have only been home for a day but so far he has seemed as cheeky and healthy as always, eating and drinking as usual. The sore is very small and feels like a bump when you touch it, is red and on the right side, an inch under his genitals. Is this anything to worry about? Picture below:

Pets4Life101

• Total Posts : 43
Re:Sore near groin on ferret (picture included) - Monday, November 10, 2014 4:51 PM
I would have it checked by a vet just in case (the picture you posted didn't show on my computer) But in conclusion, it may be a skin tumor. Usually, these are non-cancerous. However; if left untreated for a long period, it can become CANCEROUS. There are several types of tumors which I'll list below.

Mast cell tumor: These appear any where on the ferret, and they are linked to the condition of the ferret's immune system. They are small, and look like little red bumps. But they can appear flat as well, and appear to be scaley. Ferrets produce a lot of histamine, so this is why they constantly scratch at this tumor.

Treatment: These mast cell tumors should be of little worry. They do not become cancerous. However, it is a discomfort for your ferret and you should treat it. Always have a vet remove these tumors by having your vet perform a biopsy. You should expect more of these tumors, for they can pop up in a bunch of other places. But if you nip this problem in the bud, it may prevent this.

Basal cell tumors: These tumors are slow to grow; and have a rough, wart like surface. They will feature little craters in the middle. They are loose on the surface of the skin and move freely when you push them.

Treatment: These tumors are easy to scrape away. However, you should have you vet properly remove them to prevent infections. Once removed, these tumors will not recur in the same spot. These tumors must removed.

Sebaceous cell tumors: These are tumors of the skins oil glands or hair follicles. They appear to be oddly shaped; some take on the shape of a cauliflower. They may be bluish colored under the skin, and on the outside may range from tan to brown to blue. These tumors appear any where on the ferret, and are rough to the touch.

Treatment: These tumors are very important to remove because they grow rapidly and become cancerous. Have your vet remove this!

Overall, tumors are common. They shouldn't be anything to majorly worry about. It is nothing severe like canine distemper. It only becomes severe when left untreated for a long time. 

To me, it looks like your ferret has a mast cell tumor. I could be wrong, have the vet treat it. It never hurts to have your vet check any kind of concerns you have about your ferret later in the future. But, if you wish to save some bucks from having your vet only check your ferret when it's harmless, then get the "Ferrets for Dummies" book. It has helped me a BUNCH!

Blessings to you and your ferret, may the two of you have a AMAZING  day!

P.S. I hoped this helped! :)
unclejoe
Re:Sore near groin on ferret (picture included) - Monday, November 10, 2014 6:33 PM
Member in blocked list
brendan

• Total Posts : 47
Re:Sore near groin on ferret (picture included) - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:54 PM
I would most defiantly get your baby to any exotic animal hospital or vet. Some tumors are fast growing and if they are not treated in a day or two it could become very serious. When my baby got her first tumor I was told by the vet that she had ECE which is an intestinal issue so I went above and beyond to treat it and did my best to keep her healthy, but when I noticed her getting worse she had gotten not 1, but 2 mast tumors that were growing very fast. If the vet gives you the option to do x-rays I would most defiantly allow that because its better to no exactly what you need to treat. I hope every works out okay for your baby, please keep me updated on the news because no one deserves to go through what I had to feel when I found out about her tumors growing rapidly.
[font="'courier new'; line-height: 1.4"]I hope the following information I supplied helps you in anyway possible..

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread