Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Looking to buy a ferret
heatonj

• Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
Looking to buy a ferret - Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:24 PM
Looking to buy a ferret for the family for Christmas. Owned one years ago that I purchased from a coworker because they didn't have the time to spend with it. She died years later and we always enjoyed playing with her. Now that are kids are old enough we would like to purchase another one. The questions I have are, Where is a good place to purchase one? I see them at the local pet store and it looks bigger and older and she wants $300. I see them online as kits for $100. How do I know who to buy from online or doesnt it matter as much? 
unclejoe
Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Thursday, November 20, 2014 5:37 PM
Member in blocked list
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Monday, November 24, 2014 2:45 PM
hi - do you have a local shelter you could rescue from instead of purchasing?  or craig's list in my area has ferrets every week that need to be rescued.

please consider these routes before making a purchase at a pet store.
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
heatonj

Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Monday, November 24, 2014 2:52 PM
Michigan here. Below is the link that I found where people sell them. I was just wondering because I would love to have one as fun and well manored as or other. Not to sure how old is to old to get one and train it to be carried or played with without biting and such, or if any age is fine as long as you work with it. Would you recomend a kit if I can get one or just buy what the pet store has and train and enjoy?  Thanks for the info!

pet-classified.com 
heatonj

Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Monday, November 24, 2014 2:54 PM
Been looking and fine with a rescue as long as it is friendly, dont need it biting my kids or neighbors. I only say that cause years ago my wife's cousin had a mean one, due to ignoring it i believe though.
ordinarygirl

hi - do you have a local shelter you could rescue from instead of purchasing?  or craig's list in my area has ferrets every week that need to be rescued.

please consider these routes before making a purchase at a pet store.

raml

• Total Posts : 100
Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 12:02 AM
A rescue would know if a ferret was a biter or not but so would a pet store. I have had 48 ferrets in the past 16yrs. Only one was a biter and was given to me by a pet store because they knew I had ferrets and I knew how to handle them I was able to break her for the most part of biting me anyway I never let others around her. None of my kits turned out to be biters but that is because I trained them right from the first that biting was not acceptable also many of mine did not bite at all and were gentle even in playing with me right from the very first time I held them. I loved my rescues too who were older and they never bit me ever and right from the first day I got them they seemed ever so grateful for a home and they were just full of love so older ones have special place in my heart. If you get a kit from a store go in and play with it for awhile and see how it acts with you that will tell you a lot about their personality actually my ferrets always picked me more than I picked them.
ordinarygirl

• Total Posts : 39
Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:06 PM
my experience with pet stores when I go to visit the ferrets is "how come he's not biting you?" and that's whether it's a girl or a boy ferret - they just call them all 'he' 

reason being that ferrets in pet stores bite because they're not handled 

a shelter Mom would be able to tell you a lot more about the ferret you're interested in

i've never considered anything about the ferrets I've had the pleasure of being owned by - just that they needed me.  I didn't give regard to age, gender, color, habits etc.
Momma to
Joseph Francis Tribiani aka Joey Came to his forever home 9/26/2011
Daxter Chandler Muriel Bing aka Daxy Came to his forever home 7/30/2014

Waiting at the Bridge:
Gabby, Rylee, Maya, Roxy Heart, Goofy and Tig
brendan

• Total Posts : 47
Re:Looking to buy a ferret - Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:51 PM
A shelter would be a good idea because no ferret deserves to be stuck in one of those, and a ferret from the pet store is usually a marshall ferret (which you can tell from the tattoo on their right ear I believe..) which are also very healthy and come in around 2-3 months old. If your curious about their age I always buy mine below 5-6 months because I like for them to grow up and mature around me so they understand the type of environment their going to be living in. I also usually buy females, not because I have a problem with the males but because females are usually more gentle as where the males are a little more aggressive. If you choose to buy one from a shelter I recommend getting 2 because they work a lot better in pairs, and you never have to worry about them getting depressed if you have a vacation or something planned. If you do choose to get 2 try to get them both the same gender so one isn't more aggressive than the other.
[font="'courier new'; line-height: 1.4"]I hope the following information I supplied helps you in anyway possible..

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 1 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread