Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
New ferret kit problems
Fedgar

• Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
New ferret kit problems - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 2:42 PM
Hi I'm hoping someone who has kit training experience can help!

I currently have 3 male ferrets, one which I raised from a kit and another that I rescued last January, both of which are just over a year and a half old and are castrated. 
I have recently taken on a new kit and he is proving very difficult to train (he's completely different from my first ferret that I raised).
The new kit isn't aggressive by any stretch but he is, for want of a better term, a lunatic, I know that kits are very playful but he's on a completely different level. He doesn't seem to need to sleep like a normal ferret: I noticed this when I got him at 8 weeks old, and after a few days I decided to do an experiment and time how long before he got dozy, it took nearly 4 hours. He's now nearly 12 weeks and only getting more energetic. When it comes to training, I am trying to teach him that fingers are never to be bitten and use soft toys etc to play with him, but he doesn't seem to be getting the message and when I scruff him (I don't believe in flicking) it just gets him more excited like it's all a big game. The other two ferrets get really annoyed with him, they enjoy playing for a while but get tired much quicker than the kit and get stressed that he's still buzzing round them trying to bite and play.

I'm hoping that some of you guys will have some training tips that will help get the message across to my kit with regards to biting etc. Will he ever calm down and become compatible with the older boys? Thanks in advance guys:)
wenmister
Re:New ferret kit problems - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:08 PM
Member in blocked list
Fedgar

Re:New ferret kit problems - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:21 PM
Thank you that's very helpful, some of what you have suggested I am already trying so I guess it's just perseverance, but there's a few new things you have given me to try so thank you :) hopefully he will eventually calm down!
Fedgar

Re:New ferret kit problems - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:51 PM
P.s. Have you any thoughts as to why scruffing, dragging etc has no effect and only gets him really really excited like it's a game and tries to play and bite me more? Is there anything I can do to try and combat this?
Meechysmum92

• Total Posts : 107
Re:New ferret kit problems - Tuesday, November 11, 2014 9:51 PM
Hey! Welcome! 
First thing is first....Dont fret!!! He will calm down! My ferret was EXACTLY the same. Scruffing only made him more hyper, bite more, and try and play more. The apple bitter works good for toes, if you have a toe biter, and as for scruffing, if it doesnt work, try something else! Time outs in his carrier cage wokred verrry well for me! Make sure you leave him in there long enough for him to realizse he did something yoi didnt like, but not too long (i usually did aboit 4 minutes) when you let him out of the carrier, make sure he is calm and not biting at the carrier door. You can also try scruffing him as soon as he bites, and carrying him by the scruff, into time out! (Support his bum if yoi think hes a bit heavy for scruffing) hope this helps a bit. Most of all, like i said, dont give up! I remeber some days just rolling my eyes and thinking "what have i gotten myself into" and although still a little troublemaker, meechy is 1 million times better! Good luck!
Fedgar

Re:New ferret kit problems - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:19 AM
Oh my goodness thank you, that has set my mind at rest... I thought I had a defect haha! But if your little Meechy has calmed down as you say hopefully Sparta will too! I will definitely try a time-out box, thanks again for the tips :) 
wenmister
Re:New ferret kit problems - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:51 AM
Member in blocked list
unclejoe
Re:New ferret kit problems - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 1:06 PM
Member in blocked list
Fedgar

Re:New ferret kit problems - Wednesday, November 12, 2014 6:06 PM
Great stuff! Loads of new techniques to try, thanks everybody for all your advice, you've all been really helpful :) to give you an update, I have started trailing giving Sparta time-outs in a carrier and already it seems to calm him down and he's only been in there for two 4-minute periods so fingers crossed!

Jump to:

Current active users
There are 0 members and 2 guests.
Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread